Macbook Pro Bootcamp Win8 Error 'GPT'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icbreeze, Mar 15, 2013.

1. icbreeze macrumors member

Hi all,

I've recently had the chance to install a fresh copy Mac OS 10.8.2 on my 15" Macbook Pro 2011. Since then i've been trying to install via Bootcamp and USB Win8 with no such luck. I keep getting a

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed GPT disks"

Of course, I kind left it aside and figured I'll wait it out until Apple officially supported windows 8. So today i installed 10.8.3 on my machine, thinking that error will go away.

Unfortunately not.... I still get that exact same error:
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed GPT disks"

It's getting quite annoying now. FYI my DVD drive doesn't work, apparently after i cleaned install ML my drive just stopped working. I've got Win8 on a USB stick formatted by bootcamp (modified bootcamps .plist). Also tried to use an external DVD to install windows instead it gave me a black screen and then ejected the disk.

Anyone in a similar situations? Or have any clues on how I can fix this?

Cheers

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Are you really using the bootcamp app? it doesnt sound like it.

The bootcamp app emulates a bios for windows to install, thus avoiding that error.

if you want to install win 8 without bootcamp thats another story, it will give you that error because of the GPT table in the UEFI system is not compatible with win 8, thus what you need to do it is to reform that GPT partition to something that windows likes

http://forum.notebookreview.com/app...tion-installing-windows-without-bootcamp.html

this thread has my woes in it, good news is that the 2011 models is easy to get gpu switching to work

3. icbreeze thread starter macrumors member

Hi Mr.MM,

Yep I'm using the official bootcamp app. Well, I modified the .plist to get it to install windows on a USB stick but by all accounts it should work- I think.

Is the error occurring due to the fact I modified the .plist inside bootcamp? Even so, I did a wipe today and tried to do it with a fresh installed copy of ML. Still getting same error.

Cheers

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

i never had a problem using that method of hacking the pllist, the copy that you made with win 8 must be using EFI to install, thats the problem try to make a new USB key using BIOS, that will work

you will have to google how to do it though

5. icbreeze thread starter macrumors member

Cheers!! I'll give it go later tonight and see how it goes.

6. Helmi74 macrumors newbie

Any new on that?

i created a Win8 USB Stick using Bootcamp with OSX 10.8.3 but it doesn' install on the partition for bootcamp. Windows says it is a MBR partition table and must be GPT on EFI disks.

Directly after the bootcamp assistant finished it boots with a prompt where it says it's booting a bootcamp prepared usb medium and with lower resolusion. Later if i boot the EFI disk via pressing alt on boot it boots in full resolution but the result is always the same: the installer won't install on the bootcamp partition.

Any idea?
    Frank

7. NewMacBaby macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Bootcamp Win8 Error 'GPT'

Hi all,

May be different but try same resolution I took, as my error says "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

I'm a old IBM PC timer with over 17 years IT experience but just bought a new spanking Mac Pro ($5,600+). I am trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 onto a 2nd internal HDD (Seagate 3TB).

I had this problem (same error message) for the past several hours and reading the Boot Camp Assistant documentation and several blogs did not help. However, those documentation gave a hint.

Number of partitions supported by OSX 10 matters (in my case, 4 max it seems). My first Mac HDD has 3 partitions. The 2nd HDD has an EFI and a BOOTCAMP partition - after running that program inside OSX and rebooted.

No matter what I do, Windows Installer results in the error on paragraph 1.

Resolution: Delete the EFI partition at disk partitioning stage during Windows installer process. Once deleted, the 2nd HDD should be one unallocated disk and can be partitioned as the 4th partition. Windows Installer then allows "Next" to be chosen and to proceed with Windows install.

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

interesting and windows will recreate the EFI partition and the new GPT will work, I will try that, this is the best and most simple answer to this problem

if you dont mind I will use this in that thread that I reposted here

9. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

I had the very same issue and tried everything. It was because I was using a USB 3.0 drive. Once I used a 2.0 USB flash drive everything went fine.

Crazy huh?

Hope that helps you