MacBook Pro booting issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Markland556, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Markland556, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

Markland556 macrumors newbie

Alright. Just got this MacBook from a friend. It's a 13" 2012 with the 2.5ghz processor.

Here's where I'm at. It will only power up with the AC adapter plugged in. (Assuming the battery is toast. Shows green charged light, no lights via test button on the side)

When I turn it on I hear the boot sound but get no display. Occasionally, it will flash a grey screen. It always momentarily shows the grey screen when I clear the NVram though. But that's as far as I can get. I have taken the bottom cover off and everything looks good. I have tried searching and nobody seems to have the grey screen pop up like mine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Try to reset SMC by pressing the (left) Shift-Control-Option keys along with the power button once.

Do you see video images on the screen, even though it appears dark? shine a light into the screen, and check for any icons/windows, even if very dim.
    Check that video brightness is not all the way down (press f2 a few times, just as a test :D )
    Be sure to try an external display. If you get no external video, and the internal screen also still doesn't light, then it's a logic board.

3. Markland556 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the SMC reset with no luck. Also tried turning the backlight up. I don't have an external monitor handy to test that out just yet. I was assuming it might be the logic board, but just hoping that it wasn't going to come down to that. Thanks for the help though.

4. eServe macrumors newbie

Check for liquid damage first.

Have you confirmed that its not exposed to liquid. Open the screws at back and disconnect the battery connector and perform visual observation to check for any oxidation (white/greenish substance) or liquid mark.

I have repaired a few machines with these symptoms and some of them were liquid damaged. so worth confirming. let me know what you find... will be good if you can post a pic of the logic board...

5. Markland556 thread starter macrumors newbie

I pulled the laptop apart and there are no signs of any liquid damage. I have searched high and low to try and find someone with the same issue as me, but nobody seems to have a blank grey screen. I have tried booting without the hard drive installed and get the same symptoms. I ordered a new battery since this one seems to not hold a charge at all. There is a guy on eBay located in New York that fixes logic boards for around $200. I think that might be my next step to try and get this thing going again.