MacBook Pro Boots Into Sleep Mode...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trialser, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Trialser macrumors member

I have an older style MBP, 2.2, running 10.4.3, and the other day after using it about an hour I put it to sleep. After another hour or so I opened it to use it again. Usually just opening it will wake it from sleep. It didnt so I tried pressing any buttons, no luck. Held the power button til it turned off. Tried to boot up but the screen stayed black and the sleep light went on, but did not pulsate. Tried that a few times with the same result. I also tried hooking up an external monitor, just got "no signal". Any ideas to what is going on?
    Thanks

2. Trialser thread starter macrumors member

Noone knows? Is this the logic board? If it is is there a way to get everything from my hard drive?

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hey,

you have either of these 2

bad gpu (8600GT)

or a bad lid/sleep sensor.

sounds to me like its the video card (which is covered 2 years from date of purchase through the 8600gt failing kb article.)

everything on your hdd is fine.

4. Trialser thread starter macrumors member

How can I figure out which problem it is? And about how much will it cost?
    Thanks

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would put my money on the 8600gt,

which if it is is covered free even if you did not purchase apple care, for 2 years from purchase date.

i would take it in and have it assessed or call apple care.

6. Trialser thread starter macrumors member

Well just my luck I bought it 2 years and one month ago... Last year i took it in a few days after my one year warranty. I might end up getting it looked at but last time they gave me a price of 1250$ for a repair that cost me 60$. How much is the 8600gt? Is it a very difficult install?

7. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Replacing a GPU in a notebook is usually a pretty daunting task... I had this same thing happen to me just yesterday. While its true that Apple will replace the GPU for free, most of the time they can get away with saying its a problem with the logic board and considering we can't open the notebook without voiding warranty its pretty hard for even us, who have decent knowledge of computers to be able to determine whether they're right or wrong. I'm expecting to pay some money and hear from the "geniuses" that it's a problem with my logic board. Expect probably a 3-5 day turnaround as well. Consider yourself lucky... the only store within 100 miles of me is closed until the 18th for renovations, so I'm SOL until then.