MacBook Pro boots to black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sioconnor28, May 7, 2015.

1. sioconnor28 macrumors newbie

So this issue of MacBooks booting to a black screen with a cursor seems to be relatively common. I've researched and tried different solutions over the last couple of day and to no effect. My 2008 MacBook Pro seems to get to 25% (sometimes 50%) on the loading screen before booting to a black screen with the white cursor... I'm thinking it has something to do with Yosemite?? Here's what I have tried so far:

1. Connecting to an external screen to check the display. (The logo still lights up on the front anyway) ##
    2. SMC reset ##
    3. Booting in safe mode to login in the dark ##
    4. Booting in recovery didn't work ##
    5. Zapping PRAM (NVRAM) ##
    6. Target disc mode works on my desktop Mac do I know the hard drive is ok.
    7. Terminal boot finishes on #Bash 3.2, I tried researching that but it's a little over my head!

Any ideas fellow users?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Reinstall OSX

Reinstall the operating system. That seems to stop this issue, mine occasionally sits black for 20-30 seconds after sleep looking into it it seems a reinstall usually fixes this. I haven't got round to doing it myself yet but will this weekend.

3. sioconnor28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing a reinstall. I am using target disc mode on my working Mac which has 10.6.8 (haha) so when I try to open a newer OS to reinstall on my MacBook the computer does not support it. Anyone know a way I can get around this?