Macbook Pro bottom case not flush

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tonedef407, Feb 13, 2011.

1. tonedef407 macrumors regular

After installing a RAM upgrade, I can't get the bottom case to go back on flush on the left side under the ports. It's flush everywhere but there and I have tried reseating the cover to no avail. I've torqued the screws in the "star" pattern. The problem is I don't recall if it was like that before and I'm being hypersensitive and it's common or I should take it to Apple (if they would even do anything). [​IMG]

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That's not too bad, but mine certainly is very flush. I'm guessing that's a 15" like mine due to the SD Card and Audio In/Out.
    Are you sure that you put it in the right way when you put the cover back on?
    I'd maybe try putting that side in first.

3. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose I can try again. One problem seems to be that the center screw on the left side does not seem to want to screw all the way in.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Are you sure it's the right size?
    As in, there are some longer and shorter screws. Did you keep track when you upgraded the RAM?

5. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

No unfortunately. Is there a different size among the shorter screws? I know that there is the much longer three.

6. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

7. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

To give an update, I loosened the screws again,switched a few around, and pushed kind of hard on the case as I was screwing and I think it's about as good as I can get it. Pretty close to as flush as the right side. It might be that there is some slight warpage to that bottom case or something. Oh well, the computer works great so that's what matters.

8. skidmarc macrumors member

I found that when taking apart a laptop (you are not familiar with) you can use a piece of cardboard about 10" x 10" and place the screws into the cardboard according to where they go on the laptop case (like a template of sorts). Probably not such a big deal on the MB/MBP, I just line them up as I take them out top/left/right/bottom.

Just passing some knowledge.

Glad you got your case fixed.

9. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to have gone back to the way it was. Does anyone think this is worth making a trip to the Genius bar over?

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

11. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

I've double checked for that and don't seem to notice any swelling.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I would take it to an Apple store then.

13. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

I've always found computer screws have been too small for this technique. However; it works great for larger bolts, like car maintenance.

14. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

Just made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow. I hope they can fix it, but I have a feeling they aren't going to be able to do much for me.

15. Kreylonus macrumors newbie

Hopefully they'll be able to get it taken care of for you and that it's nothing too serious.

16. RayK macrumors 6502

I will say that I'm a certified technician and that it looks fine to me. I have worked on 30 of these and that bottom looks about as flush as it will get. Here's the location of the long screws vs short screws:
    ===Back===
    -s--L---L---L--
    -----------------
    s--------------s
    -----------------
    -s---s---s---s--
    ===Front===

I think you are worrying a bit too much about it. That's my opinion though. Good luck.

17. slieu92 macrumors regular

sorry to revive the dead. but after a genius bar visit for a trackpad and right shift key problem, my bottom case became not flush pretty much all the way around.

my trackpad problem went away, but my shift key reformed itself again after my initial check at the apple store.

how did the geniuses handle your problem if you don't mind me asking?

18. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

I took it in and the Genius had appeared to fix it,but once home I noticed it wobbling. Turns out he bent the bottom to make it appear flush, but it just caused an imbalance. Took it back and they replaced the bottom case altogether. It was slightly better but there are still some minor gaps. I'm pretty sure my top case has some slight warpage that's causing this. I just learned to live with it.

19. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

that suxs. i don't appreciate that the genius took the bottom and bent it... lol

20. slieu92 macrumors regular

thanks for the reply. i'm afraid that's what the geniuses are going to do to mine too. i'm only 18 and from my past two visits they don't seem to take me very seriously. how did you handle the situation at the second visit after you found out the guy just bent it?

21. miker2209, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

What i found out was that among the small screws 4 of them are actually different, all tho they are same in length but theres a blank near the top of the screw. Just have a closer look.

P.s took time to take out the screws for a pic
    [​IMG]

22. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have the 17" and never noticed these screws. Maybe its the 13"?

23. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

Great Great advice!
    The cardboard template is a great idea and you'll keep track of where each screw originally came from.

24. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Perhaps, but it's causing abit of a trouble.

25. dionysious macrumors newbie

i have the macbook aluminium first gen and everything, so the battery was really suffering. i bought this el-cheapo from ebay which lasted longer but dies at 10 percent just like that. i put up with it for a while then it started expanding. now my mac is a bit worse than your haha. thats hongkong for ya ;)