MacBook Pro bottom part of screen looks strange

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boeing733, Jun 3, 2008.

1. boeing733 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My new MacBook Pro screen looks like crumpled paper. Its like 10 spotlights are shining at the bottom part of the screen upwards causing a effect that i cannot otherwise describe as crumpled paper. It streaks well over more then half of the screen and is very noticable when having a white screen open but even on dark colours its noticeable...
    Is this a normal thing in a MBP as its my 1st and I am not impressed with this effect as it really is distracting me...:(

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No, clearly this is not normal.

For the sake of it, I may have to mention that like many faults with Apple's hardware, it is not Apple's fault that there are problems, because they don't make the parts. Samsung or LG make LCD screens, and Apple buys them and uses them. Clearly this means your quote "in a MBP" is misinformed, as there is equal chance that you would get this problem with a Dell, Asus, Sony, etc. A better quote would have been "in a notebook", for which the answer would still be no.

Go show someone at an apple store, or if you only just got it, complain and send it back.

3. sclough macrumors regular

I had this happen once when mine was about a week old. After a reboot it hasn't happened since. It was pretty weird.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

It may not be apple's fault, but it is certainly apple's responsibility and problem. This is a widespread problem and apple seems totally clueless about the problem. I took mine in with a photo of the issue but they said they'd have to be able to reproduce it in order to do something about it.unfortunately it's very difficult to reproduce... And when I told them that they said it may not be worthwhile giving it to them for repair. Luckily amazon is sending me
    a replacement and I'm sending it back. If you can, I suggest you do the same!

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

They sell them, though, and that makes them responsible. It seems to me that Apple would save themselves a lot of money by tightening quality control rather than conducting repairs and/or exchanges/refunds on thousands of units.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Sadly, I'm sure this is all calculated to save money. I mean, most people (not the people around here!) don't notice all the little stuff and never send things in for repair. They just accept it because they don't care, or because they don't have the time to deal, or can't be without their computer. Look at all the stuff people accept on the windows side, every single day. So Apple just fixes stuff/replaces for those who are more discerning and doesn't care about quality control in general. What bugs me is that it's at our expense in terms of frustration, time and money.

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

That is the most bull I have heard in a while, it is their product, and they need to stand behind, in which case they do.

That happened to me also two weeks ago, but I rebooted it and has not happened since. I've had my MBP for about a month.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i agree completely. They do stand behind their product 100% too!

chevy doesnt make the bad alternator in my car, but guess who took care of it? point made.
    :)

9. PDE macrumors 68020

It may not be anything serious at all, but it's strange that it's not affecting all macbook pros. As long as Apple doesn't acknowledge it formally and come out with a statement, I'm going to assume the worst. If they came out and said that they believe it's a firmware issue and that they will issue a fix, I'd feel a lot bettery. Until then, if I get another one that does this, I'll send for yet another replacement rather than get stuck with something that down the line will have issues.

If there's one thing I'd wish, it is that Apple starts behaving responsibly and professionally by acknowledging problems and stating their intention to fix them quickly. Why should we have to deal with the uncertainty of not knowing if Apple will just choose to ignore the problem and move on to the next generation of macbook pros. It has happened before...

10. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

got this problem too....:(
    i hope its not serious.
    BY THE WAY!
    most mini screen devices have this problem!
    my 5G ipod does....look at the lcd from the top, looking down..youll see the same problem...
    and my nokia n73.

i wonder what may be the cause of this.but unlike the macbook pro, they dont disappear.on the MBP once you close the lid, it goes away.

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Uhuh, and so answer me this:

If it's so hard to reproduce, how is any quality control, who can realistically only afford to start up a machine, and have a quick look at it, going to find this problem?

My point (which was pretty clear) is that a dodgy screen is not normal for a MBP, but it IS normal for a computer manufacturer to sell the odd machine with a problem.

If you clearly have an issue, and some jerk won't accept that there is a problem, you need to go find someone else.

P.S. I said this wasn't Apple's fault. Nowhere did I mention responsibility. Clearly Apple should fix the problem, replace dodgy machines, and then put pressure on source companies to pick up their game by sending the dodgy components back to them. But it is clearly still not Apple's fault that this happened.

12. a13bee macrumors newbie

lights from the bottom of screen

i had this same problem hence that is why now i am a member its a great forum and i got the answer on this thread i had this lights shining up from the bottom of the screen and cured it by rebooting the laptop holding down the on/off button for 10 seconds let it come back on and hay presto the lights have gone so to the person who put this thread on and to the person who put the answer on many thanks regards to all new member a13bee.

13. albertdros macrumors member

way to kick a 5 year old topic :D

14. a13bee macrumors newbie

hello

hi albertdros it might be 5 years old but it worked for me and also i have found that it comes on when i am just using the laptop on battery power but then when i put it back n mains power and hit the power button and rebbot it it goes away i am like a little boy in a candy shop as i have only had the macbook pro a week and i love it always had microsoft windows but i will never go back to windows again kindest regards a13bee.