MacBook Pro box - important?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artmuzz, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

As stated in my last post I managed to get a bargain on a Penryn 2.4Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro in new and excellent working and cosmetic condition but one thing is bugging me.... I got no box with it:( The seller appeared at my door with it in a laptop bag. The thing that is bugging me is that if my MacBook Pro was to break down, will I need the MacBook Pro in its box for sending back to Apple or any Apple repair centre?

Please advise

Artmuzz

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

while the box is nice, you dont need it.

did you get the install disks and such? just curious and if not, id ask for them from the seller. i ask since they are initially placed in the box

if you need to send it back, apple will send a generic box to your place (with a lot of padding on inside (at least that is what i have experienced personally)

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I wouldn't have thought so. All you need is proof of purchase, such as the receipt, or a credit card statement. Their own data should then be able to confirm the purchase. Granted, I still have my MBP box, as I bought and collected it in person, but when my iPod died (twice) while still under warranty, it was replaced (twice) without any fuss, and I had junked the wrapping and packaging long before then, as I never thought they'd be needed. In any case, should you need to return it, I'm sure you'll be advised as to how to package and transport the machine by Apple. Good luck.
    :apple: MBP 15.4', 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple:iPod Classic black 30 GB

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The box is mostly a collectible (though I accept saving most of my $1000+ tech boxes). Whats important is that you got the install disks, a magsafe power adapter with 3 types of plug-ins (a 2 pin, a 3 pin with fuse and a 3 pin with wire) and your DVI to VGA adapter!

P.S.: why didnt he get the box btw?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hmm when i got my mb, i got the 2 pin and the extension cord with 3 pin. whats this fuse youre talking about? is it a mbp only item (like the dvi-vga adapter?)

6. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I got everything with my MacBook Pro except for the box. I got the Apple stickers, the DVI to VGA Adapter, the install discs, the power adapter, documents and booklet which was still in its booklet,install discs black carboard box kind of sleeve.:)

Shame I didn't get the box though:( but its a relief to find out that I don't really need it.

I am a bit shocked that I need the receipt if my Macbook Pro breaks down as I didn't get a receipt with it:eek: I thought if I registered the Macbook Pro in my name on the Apple site with its serial number was enough proof for warranty? According to Apple the serial number on my MacBook pro has 8 months left on it.

Please advise

Artmuzz

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think you need a receipt. heck i never keep mine and ive never had problems

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Nope.... I got it with both 3 pins with my MB and MBP!

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

interesting, i have never seen one of those in my life. i did get the very first revision mb. maybe thats why?

10. Fabiano macrumors regular

may be you purchased your MBP outside US? this looks like some european plug

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good call, that would make sense. Apple Ink, are you outside of US?

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No!

13. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

lol it looks like a stolen one :)

14. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I received too, but I live in Europe :)

15. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I doubt it considering the books and install discs were still in their packaging:)

I got it off eBay. When I phoned the seller before buying it she said it was still in its box.

What has probably happened is that she has taken it out its box to setup the install to save me from doing it myself as I said I wanted to see it working before buying. She probably thought it would be less hassle not putting it back in its box and just put it in a rather new looking laptop bag which she told me to keep.

Artmuzz

16. Fabiano macrumors regular

good point... Art, did you ask him where is the original box?

17. Fabiano macrumors regular

As I suspected... I think his MB is from Europe!

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Well..... should've struck me before except both were useless for me!
    I have 2 MBPs and a MB! One of my MBP and the MB came with the adapter! The MB was from Asia and the MBP from Europe! The other MBP that I bought in the states.... never had one!

Sorry for the confusion! Its just that since I travel a lot I dont really bother about these!:eek:

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is possible that you do not need the receipt as you have registered your ownership with Apple. Perhaps it depends on the country where you have bought it, and on the wider consumer experience there. My own experience thus far with Apple has been excellent (which is one of the main reasons why I've become a fan and a very impressed consumer of their products and will continue to be one).

However, in Ireland, as customer care traditionally has been quite poor - and consumer protection legislation (until quite recently) historically pretty limited - I'm the sort of person who keeps receipts as proof of purchase, and unfortunately, there have been a number of occasions where I have needed to use them. Many businesses and companies - not all, obviously - give poor service, sell shoddy products, charge high prices, and then seek refuge in microscopic small print. Consumer resistance is only beginning to develop here. Yes, it is improving, and yes, I patronise (and support) businesses which offer good service and take pride in their products, but it is a battle which sometimes still needs to be fought.

Given that cultural background, I have kept my MBP receipt although the shop confirmed that their own records also showed proof of purchase and that I wouldn't need it. Good luck anyway.

20. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I am just next door to you in Scotland, UK. Maybe the rules are the same here with Apple:eek:

21. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

In Poland - for sure. Usually, lack of receipt means no customer service.

22. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically if you buy secondhand off eBay with no reciept even though there is warranty left and you register product with Apple you are screwed when it comes to customer service? :eek:

23. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I don't know what is in the case of Apple Poland, but in other cases, shop or the manufacturer can refuse you a free service. Unfortunately, the bill is important. Sad but true.

24. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Would an eBay invoice be any use?