MacBook Pro "bright" pixels problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Payton, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

I've had my new SR MacBook Pro 15'' for 7 days, and I've found a really saddening problem with the display. While I'm glad it's in the left-hand corner of the display and not in the middle or somewhere more annoying, it's still making me sick to my stomach because I just dropped $2300 on this thing (with student discount) and it's frustrating to have a problem with the computer I'm going to be using for the next several years as I'm entering college and not going to have any money to upgrade.

In other words, I'm unhappy, but I'd also like to share the problem and see if anyone can explain to me what the issue is. It's not "stuck" on a certain color or "dead" because it's not black, and it's also not just white, but it's BRIGHTER than the surrounding area. It's almost as if there's an internal reflection going on inside of my display.

I've attached a few photographs that I think show the problem pretty well. What is this called? Do you think I have a chance at getting a new one at the Apple store? Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats really really odd, they might give you a new one, but it looks so small...im sure if you produced noticable results like that to them they should give you a new one, heck its only 7 days old so you can always just "return" it and buy a new one

3. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

true on the 7 days and return thing, but I think there's a $200 restocking fee

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

First off, there are far worse things to make you sick to your stomach than a mild bright spot in an extreme corner of your display, under normal circumsances you'd never notice.

Aside from that, call Apple or go to the store you bought it from and show them. Since it was such a recent purchase, they MIGHT swap it out for you without charging you the 15" restocking fee, but I don't know that for a fact. Good luck.

5. Zel macrumors regular

I think that this problem is so extremely minor that if you exchange it (you have the right of exchange) the chances of something else being MORE wrong is high.

Looking that hard you would be able to find something wrong with any machine!

For example, the lid on mine when closed is a half of a millimeter off center to the right. It's something we have to live with, you dont get to be that picky when buying a $500,000 house, so why would a $3000 computer be different?

6. L3X macrumors 6502a

OP, how do things look when just browsing the net and doing normal things? Is the bright spot noticeable? It's obviously going to be more noticeable when you have those solid colors up on the screen.

Definitely call your local store. If one guy gives you an answer you don't like, call back 10 minutes later and see if you get a different guy. Or, call and ask to talk to the manager as well.

7. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

Obviously there are worse things that could happen, I know this. And yes, it's more obvious with the solid colors, that's why I did it for the camera.

It's still noticeable when surfing the web, using photoshop, etc, but I start to ignore it after a bit, and it's much less noticeable with the screen's brightness at about half, which is only so great when the lights are off.

Anyway, I didn't post to be nagged on about how life sucks and everything can't be perfect. I'm curious what this is called and what causes it, and also about the return-exchange factor.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

As with all such things, as soon as you notice it, then it is all that you notice.

I had a HP hi-res laptop for three years before I noticed it had a stuck brighter pixel. It was similar to what you had but higher and closer to the centre of the screen. It didn't bother me.

9. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

do any of you think it's worth a try or will they just look at my like I'm an idiot?:p

10. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

It comes down to you, not us. If it really annoys you then why not take a chance and try and get it replaced.

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think its worth a try, i would do it, especially since its only been a week

12. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Return it. It's not acceptable and seems to be a manufacturing defect. I returned two MBPs with the yellow tint issue and was not charged a restocking fee.

13. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Most likely the latter...

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Let us know what happens!

For what it's worth, I share your pain. I have a Treo 750, and out of nowhere it's developed a stress crack on its front bezel. Apparently it's a common build quality problem among all current Treo models. this phone is otheriwse in pristine condition.

Of course AT&T will not exchange the phone because it doesn't affect the functionality of the device. But now, every time I make or receive a call or text message, it's ALL I see. If I had dropped it and CAUSED the crack I would have only myself to blame. But when certain aesthetics are designed into a device and defects compromise those aesthetics, it's annoying.

16. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

It was wayyyy easier than I had imagined. Took about 3 and a half minutes to do the whole exchange. Simple.

The new one is perfect, no problems that I can find.

To all of you who provided positive feedback, thanks again. :)

17. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Did they swap your hard drive with the new one?