Macbook Pro - Brightness vs. Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavidLeigh, Sep 7, 2012.

1. DavidLeigh macrumors member

Hi,

So at what brightness does everyone have their screens? I have to admit that since i bought my MBP i have been using it at full brightness and worryingly think that i've become accustomed to it. I've read that people say they have it at 50%. I don't know how this is even possible given how dim this now seems.

Of course the problem with having full brightness is that the battery runs out much much quicker. Now i actually use my MBP more often as a desktop machine meaning i can have it plugged in all the time. Problem is i don't know if this is good for battery life. I've heard the correct way to use the battery is to use it and then charge it. Is this the case?

Regards,

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Use whatever brightness value that you need in order to see well. Adjust it as you go if you have to, I find myself doing that quite often.

As far as the battery itself, use it normally and just let it discharge once in a while. You can leave it plugged in for days at a time but allow it to run on the battery every so often.

4. DavidLeigh thread starter macrumors member

I have a strong feeling that for the past decade of continuous laptop use, i've had my laptop in full brightness. Anything else now seems dim.

I have just read that battery life is also determined by charge cycles. If that's case than we're talking about cycles vs. charges. On the one hand cycles should be fewer if possible but you do need to charge the battery a few times a month for it to be healthy.

Want to add the i had my old laptop for about 7 years and i messed up its battery a long time ago. I had it on full brightness and think i didn't charge it once! Clearly wasn't big on battery maintenance back then!

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Your eyes will adjust over time if you lower the brightness a tick or two every couple of days. You don't have to lower it all the way from the get-go.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I personally keep it as bright as I want it unless battery life is more desperately needed.
    I full daylight that always means full brightness.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not charges vs cycles, as they both involve the same thing. Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ for details. Also, battery life is not only determined by cycles. If you leave your Mac plugged in all the time, the battery can die quicker (with few cycles) than it would if you ran on battery power regularly (more cycles), so being a "cycle hoarder" doesn't work. Also, batteries die over time, whether you use them or not. They are consumable items, and not designed to last forever. Just use your Mac normally, running plugged in when you can, and running on battery power for a few hours every few days, as described in the Battery FAQ.