Macbook pro broken charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucasliam88, Aug 16, 2015.

1. lucasliam88 macrumors newbie

can i in any way fix this? I taped it and it burnt... Should I clip it and reattach the cables or? I don't have money for a new charger..:(

Attached Files:

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

You can get replacement cables from amazon, but you need to now what you are doing.
    Or just buy a new one, the PSUs are not expensive - but they don't seem to last long.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

If you don't have money for a new charger then you definitely don't have money for a new computer and looking at the handy work done so far you you are about to need a new computer. Since you obviously don't know what you are doing you really need to find the money and purchase a new power adapter.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could take it to Apple and see if they'll replace it, but most likely you're going to need to buy a new one.

Don't just keep trying to fix that one, eventually something could catch on fire.

5. snaky69, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

If you can't afford a new charger you then you definitely can't afford to lose your house to a fire.

Buy a new charger.

On a sidenote, buying a premium, high-priced laptop and not having money to replace broken parts is kind of like buying a Ferrari without the income necessary to put gas in it.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

7. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

First off that is a very bad idea so absolutely not! Your likely to either fry a fuse in the main power brick and completely kill it or start a fire by doing that.

Yes it is possibly to repair it but as others mentioned you are going to need to purchase parts, soldering equipment and tools to take apart the charger. This will likely cost more than buying a new charger from Apple. With electronic repair experience and the right tools it is not a difficult repair but if you are new this type of work it is a side project at best. This is not something you should be relying on if this is your only charger.