MacBook pro broken keyboard...and power button.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by birdiethewolf, Sep 1, 2012.

1. birdiethewolf macrumors newbie

A couple months ago, a couple inconsequential keys on my keyboard randomly crapped out - a couple of the arrow keys and the dim display. I started using an external when i was home with it to avoid wearing anything else out.

Last night while i was using the laptop keyboard the i k , 8 0 ..maybe a couple more keys all stopped working.. And dim display started working again, if that's relevant.

Turned the computer off, and now the power button doesnt turn it on.

Am i screwed?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

What year macbook pro is it?

Could be anything from a keyboard failure to logic board failure. I would get it checked out at an Apple store and see what they regarding what needs to be replaced. If its the keyboard, you can always buy a topcase online and do the replacement yourself. If its the logic board, its as expensive repair

3. birdiethewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

It was purchased back in June 09

4. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Even with Applecare, are keyboards considered wear and tear items like batteries, where Apple can decline to replace it under warranty?

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It all depends on the situation - for example, if you spill liquid on your keyboard and then notice that it does not respond, that will more than likely not be covered. On the other hand, if the keyboard stops working due to some internal hardware failure or what have you, then that is a different story.