Macbook Pro Broken Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David The Scot, Dec 16, 2009.

1. David The Scot macrumors newbie

Anyone ever had the screen fixed in a macbook/ macbook pro ?

I jumped out of bed at he weekend and stood on my late 2008 model macbook pro. tht I had been surfing in bed the night before

the result is a fine crack on the top of the screen

the machine still works perfectly. I have it inured but there is a £250 excess, and it is still under warranty, but I am sure that apple won't fix it for free with me standing on it with my elephant feet!!!

any idea of cost or a good way of getting it fixed cheaply

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Anywhere that requires a third party to repair your computer will cost you quite a bit. If you have it insured and will only cost you $250 to repair/replace, I would take it. The only other option would to purchase the screen and repair yourself. Of course it requires you to be comfortable opening your Mac and then replacing the screen which could be hard or easy depending on what kind of person your are with regards to computers.

3. dwong506 macrumors newbie

That would be a unibody one then? Is the display broken or the glass layer in front of it?

I replaced the display in my santa rosa macbook pro with one I bought online for about 300 canadian dollars and it was no problem to install it. not sure how easy it is to get the display assembly apart on the newer ones, but it must be possible if you are willing to dig into it some.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

5. David The Scot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions,

It is a macbook pro 5,1 and it is just the glass that is cracked. The display is fine and there is just one hairline crack on the glass.

I think I might go to the apple store and see if they can replace just the glass.

It is only a minor pain but I should get it fixed as I only keep my computers for 18 months or two years and then sell the old one on ebay, and the small crack makes it unsellable.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Not unsellable, but you would just have to sell it for much less, or the amount the repair would cost.

7. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I would just go to the Apple store and see what they say! I got my 13 inch MBP screen replaced for free after I cracked it by most likely standing on it while sleep walking!

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

five comma one isn't a model number. :(

I'd be happy to supply you with some instructions and a part source if you'd give me the model number.

You can sell cracked machines. White macbooks from 2 years ago with cracked screens go for $495 regularly. There's a sucker born every minute, and 90% of them buy stuff on ebay.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

True but there isn't another generation with the same model identifier, although it might come in different sizes. "macbook pro 5,1" tells me it's a Unibody MBP released in late 2008.

Perhaps someone here should of told the OP where to find the model number (e.g. A1234) of the machine, instead of just requesting it? ...not everyone knows where to find it :p

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude... If your happy to replace the display and housing by yourself with some online web guidance, you can buy a replacement display unit for $200 (Approx £124.97) - the rest is up to you. Afterwards, flog your one one on ebay... someone else might be able to make use of it. If there's no dead pixels, I reckon it's worth about £80-100.

There are cheaper sources but you might not be buying a new component.

Good luck.

11. pyroo macrumors member

12. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

^Its interesting to note that if for some reason you get bored with your glossy and decide to go matte, or vice versa, swapping the bezel is quite easy.

err...nevermind, I suppose the display itself would need to be swapped. Certainly not cost effective.