macbook pro broken what do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ilselgo, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ilselgo macrumors newbie

I bought the macbookpro 13inch in Sep 2010

What happened before the indecent.
    I was lieing down browsing the apple.com website with the chrome browser to see if anything new was being released when suddenly everything froze i left it for a couple mins, and it was still frozen. So I restart it.

The problem.
    There was a folder with a question mark flashing, what i did was hold c and d whilst restarting it to see if I could run some tests but nothing happened. So went onto apple support and it said had to have the apple installation disc in and that made it worse because now i have the disc stuck inside.

Now instead of a folder with a question mark inside it i have the apple loading screen going on forever with nothing happening.

What ive tried.
    Command-Option-O-F to try eject the disc but nothing happend
    Command-Option-P-R was successful did it untill i heard 3 beeps but it did not fix the problem

I am assuming that what is wrong with it is that it is a hardrive issue.

I believe that this is a common problem amongst the macs as I had to try to fix my friends macbook air which was kind of a success but the loading time was 3 mins untill it loaded into the homescreen.

Can any1 help me gain furthur information on this issue and perhaps fixes, or should I just go apple store as it is still under warranty. If so is there anyway to backup some of my photoes most of which i have backed up except for the ones from my recent holiday.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im not sure if you restarted holding C only, try that or hold option and choose the DVD when it appears...it will take a while to appear be patient and this should allow you to boot the DVD and do a repair/install. Also to eject, hold the trackpad down while you start the computer up.

Holding C will tell the computer to boot from CD/DVD.

Holding D will open the hardware test screen.

Holding Option brings up the boot selection screen.

3. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

you could try taking that hard drive out and putting it into an external and transfer whatever you need into a second computer. that should safeguard your files, and then you can take your computer into the apple store. I dont know much about fixing macs so I cant really help you there.

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Uh...why did you try the OpenFirmware boot command? That hasn't worked since the PowerPC days.

Your OS corrupted, you need to reinstall it. Take it in to the closest Apple Store and have them do it for you.

5. ilselgo thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to reinstall my os from bootup by pushing see the normal apple logo comes up as if it was loading normally then the wheel stops spinning

conclusion hardrives buggered, donno if its coincidence but i think there is a major bug with osx 10.6 coz all my mates macbooks have the same problem.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

The flashing folder usually means the HD is bad. I had this same issue and Apple replaced the HD.

So I think that you have probably done all you can do at home, and do need to take it in to get fixed. They will tell you whether any of your data is retreivable, although probably not.

Update us soon......

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Correct me if wrong but it should still load from the DVD even with a bad HDD shouldnt it?

8. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well, theoretically it may appear to be loading, but the dvd will have no available HD to write the data to, so the install would fail. I have seen this occur on windows based computers many times, only to find out later that the problem is the HD and not the dvd drive or the media.

10. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I've had this happen many a time. I've gone through 5 HDD replacements now.

11. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Try re-installing the OS and see if that works.

If your disc is stuck in there, hold down left click on the mouse (just the big mouse button if your no a laptop) while you are booting up, it'll force-eject the disc.

You don't hold C and D while restarting... C will boot you from your disc you have installed, if you put int he OSX disc 1 and hit C it'll boot you into disc utilities so you can run some tests... that is all software tests...

If you feel it's hardware...

put in disc 2 of OSX discs and hold down D it'll boot you into the diagnostics and let you test your hardware.

Good luck!