Macbook Pro - but WHEN TO BUY?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dhcrusoe, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. dhcrusoe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2007
    #1
    Hey everyone!

    So, there's a lot of talk about the Macbook Pro vs. Macbook - and the PRO seems like a great move (faster, bigger screen, etc) and the money isn't that much different.

    But the question is, WHEN to buy it? I don't need it immediately, but soon - my 12'' powerbook battery is dying (I'm on my second battery) and I could either put the $130 toward a battery, or the money toward a new machine. I'd rather the new machine... BUT...

    I know that various improvements (new OSX, etc) are in the pipeline... should I wait a few months? If so, how long? What should I wait for? Discounts == no, because I'm a student... so hardware / software == important!

    Thanks for suggetions & peace!
    --Dave
     
  2. gavd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    #2
    Whenever you buy it, there will always be updates which follow so just buy it when you need it and it has the specs which meet your needs.

    As long as it does what you want, then it shouldn't matter that there's a newer version out as you'll still have a quality machine which does what you need it to do.
     
  3. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    #3
    Weren't there just recent updates to the MacBook Pro line? Technology changes so fast that if you wait....you'll always be waiting.
     
  4. Andras5soul macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Location:
    NY
    #4
    now is the best time. it wont be upgraded until spring 2007 in my opinion. if anything, the 17 inch will be upgraded to a LED screen when those become available but thats it. I got the lowend model about 3 weeks ago and its great. no problems in my opinion, the "yellow tint" people are talking about can be fixed by calibrating the screen but i didnt have a need to do that because my tint really is minor and hardly noticable. buy now and spend 129 dollars on leopard when that comes out, there will be no hardware update for leopard.
     
  5. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

    Chef Medeski

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #5
    Buy now! Unless you want to wait 4 months for Leopard (at which time it will be so buggy most likely I would wait another 2 months before I even used it as my main OS). The likely changes are probably goin be minor if anything. New new chips until '08. The only thing to hold out for is maybe a couple weeks for iLife. I would suggest as soon as you have accumulted the money buy! I know there has been a lot of talk of manufacturing issues, but those seem to have been hammered out by now. So now is the perfect time to buy! Plus you can get a free iPod and Printer if you are a student.
     
  6. drewpace macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    #6
    buy it now. i just got mine and it's awesome (2.2/2 gigs/160 gb). with the recent update i dont see one coming any time soon.
     
  7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    #8
    There's a rumor that a 13.3" Macbook Pro might be coming out soon (October??)

    I'd hate myself if I bought a Mac today, then that new MBP was released.
     

Share This Page