Macbook pro buy advice, and some concerns...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seanuhthin, Jan 18, 2010.

1. seanuhthin macrumors member

seanuhthin

Hey everyone, I am a new user to this forum.:apple: What I wanted to know was, seeing as the Pro line is "rumored" to be updated soon, is it possible that the i5 chips will be put into the 13 inch models? And if so, will this result in a dramatic price increase? I planned to buy a pro 13 inch refurbished around march anyways, but what do you think? I only chose refurb because seeing as they replace anything defective, and it is the same thing as the current models, why not spend that extra 200 on an updated Microsoft office, or laptop case? Just thoughts... I have a 1200 dollar price limit, and anything exceeding is out of the question for now.

2. robj macrumors regular

Talking about the price, it depends on how the update will be.

If it's only a upgrade, the prices surely will stay the same, so you get an upgraded model for your same money. But if they show us new models, its prices is a thing that only Steve Jobs knows :)

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't see the 13" getting the i5 at the next update, that seems a tad quick. I would expect a processor bump and some other spec updates to help distinguish between the 13" MacBook Pro and the MacBook.

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

While there may be a processor upgrade for the MBP line, I'll be surprised as they were upgraded 7 months ago.

However, I could be wrong :cool:

Habitus :apple:

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though you have to consider that they boosted the price a lot on the Mac Pro's with Nehalem. Even though the Nehalem parts cost no more retail then the equivalent 2008 Mac Pro parts cost when that model was first released.

Even worse when the 2008 MP was released it was cheaper to buy the Mac Pro than build it yourself with a part for part match on Newegg while with the Nehalem parts it was and is much cheaper to build it yourself. This is using a high end Lian Lee case, a highly rated 1000W 80+ certified PSU, Dual or Single socket server board with the same number or more PCI-e x16 slots, same model CPU's, other server grade components and Windows Ultimate (though you could always go the OSX86 route;)).

Though on the other hand the I think the high end iMac remained the same price.

As for the 13" MBP being i5 I think that will only happen later on. It will likely only be the high end 15" and the 17" to maintain the disparity between models.

6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i don't think that there wuill be i5 but processor updates will probably be the key update in them [​IMG]