Macbook Pro - Buy now or a month later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by windstarfy, Dec 16, 2008.

  1. windstarfy macrumors member

    windstarfy

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2008
    #1
    Hey guys!

    I'm planning on getting a Macbook Pro for university studies, as I used a Mac before and liked the simplicity of it.

    I can't wait to get my hands on it, so I am planning on getting someone to buy it for me next week in Hong Kong, however I will only be getting it in Janurary 2009 as that person will only arrive in China where I live then.

    Would it be better to get it now (bought and over and done with) or should I pester them to buy it closer to Janurary when they come over here to China?

    Why? Because Macbook Pros are cheaper over there than compared to prices from local shops.

    1. Is it likely that anything will be announced for the Macbook/Pro range at Macworld '09?

    2. I also haven't kept a close eye on the price, but does the price of Macbook/Pro range change at all as months pass?

    3. Would it be better to buy it now, or a month later? (Note: I will be getting it at the same time, in Janurary. But I like the feeling that it's done and purchased sooner right?)

    4. Since the Macbook is going to be bought from Apple.com/hk, with the 1 year warranty, is it an international warranty? Meaning I am able to ask for the phone support within the first 90 days while in China or another country, and the hardware support within 1 year regardless of where I am?

    Thanks for the answers!
     
  2. iStress macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #2
    1) Nope, the notebooks were just released - they will not change anything
    2) Nope, they don't change the price on a monthly basis
    3) If price is a factor, wait. But if you want it now, get it now - do it before it's too late.
    4) I believe it's an international warranty, since all Apple products are made in the same place.

    Good luck!!
     
  3. windstarfy thread starter macrumors member

    windstarfy

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2008
    #3
    For the answer to the third question, does that mean that it will be cheaper a month later? (If Apple ever changes their prices ever). I guess it would be a good time to get it now, considering that the foreign currency values favour me and make it cheaper at the moment.
     
  4. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #4
    you might want to wait til mwsf 09 just in case...
     
  5. drichards macrumors 6502a

    drichards

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    #5
    Buy your laptop whenever you want. There won't be a new one at macworld, unless you want to buy a 17in model. That one might change.
     
  6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #6
    They might do a small speed bump in January (updated Intel CPUs then) like what happened with the first MacBook Pro in February and April, but I have my doubts.

    The 17" model is rumored for an early 2009 update, though (new case design). Since it is likely to use the updated CPUs, the other MacBooks may get the CPU update too.
     
  7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    #7
    I would wait (it isn't like you are going to get it right now anyways) just in the off chance they do a speed bump or something else in January. I doubt it, but no one can tell you with 100% certainty.
     
  8. windstarfy thread starter macrumors member

    windstarfy

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2008
    #8
    Decided to get it after Macworld, just in case. =)
     

Share This Page