Macbook Pro - Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blacksand, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. blacksand macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #1
    I'm looking at getting a new Macbook Pro 15" for University (Comp Sci.), web design and development. Might do some gaming if I ever get some free time.

    I'm not really sure whether to buy now, or wait for the update coming in the next month or two. Do people think the changes will be significant to the MBP models as the buying guide says they're up for updates in the next ~30ish days.

    My only worry as a student is if the prices go up from £1500 for the mid-range 15" model, as I'm really stretching my budget to afford a MBP. Do I need the mid-range model or could I afford to drop down a model? I'm trying to get at least 2-3 years out of the laptop before upgrading.
     
  2. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    MA
    #2
    Wait a week. Apple is holding the "Back to Mac" event next Wednesday (Oct 20). If notebooks are going to be refreshed in the near future, it will be announced at that event.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    While I'm a bit skeptical that we'd see a MBP refresh, its still smart to wait a week to see what apple has up its sleeve.
     
  4. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    #4
    Prices are not going to go up. That i'm pretty sure about.
    Apple controls the prices very tightly, so I don't see pricing change too much.

    Waiting will be good even if no new macbooks come out. If OS 10.7 comes out then you will at least get that on your Macbook.

    So I'll suggest you wait for a week or two. The "Back to Mac" event is too close, no need to rush.
     
  5. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

    Pipper99

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #5
    I just bought a 17" core i5 Macbook Pro, and I found out about the event, so I'm waiting until the event next week to open it. If Apple announces an even slightly improved MBP, I'm returning this one. Argh, I really want to open it and start playing, but I can wait another week.
     
  6. 7thMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2010
    #6
    I agree. Usually my advice is to buy now except when there is a scheduled event where the particular product will be updated.
     
  7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #7
    Normally, I'd recommend that an OP buy a particular model if they need it, and wait if they merely want it.

    However, in the light of the fact that "an event" is scheduled over the course of the next week, I'd suggest that you hold off buying until after the event. If nothing - or a minor bump to the range - happens, you've lost nothing, but you would kick yourself if MBPs were to be seriously updated and you had bought one before the event.

    Cheers
     
  8. Perdification macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2010
    #8
    I seriously hope its the whole line of macbooks being updated. Maybe it might be the announcement of iPhone 5?
     
  9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #9
    "Prices are not going to go up. That i'm pretty sure about.
    Apple controls the prices very tightly, so I don't see pricing change too much."

    I think now would be a good time to CUT Mac prices by a modest margin. This would drive up Apple's sales significantly at a critical time.

    We're mired in a recession that looks like it's going to drag on for a while. But all this time, Apple's sales have been rising, as if the company offered some magical products that were almost "recession-proof".

    And in all facets of the market, the Mac OS is gaining ground.

    What better time for a marketing push that makes an increasingly-popular OS even _more affordable_ to everyone?

    If Apple were to cut Mac prices 10%, I'd reckon they could see sales increase by 15-20%, or more.

    Just my opinion...
     
  10. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #10
    The event is named "back to mac". I don't think it will have anything to do with the iPhones (or any iOS device). Unless they are launching iphone with mac os X. Which can't be possible.

    Though I agree with you that the whole line of macbooks should be updated.
     
  11. iMav macrumors 6502

    iMav

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, WI
    #11
    I just recently sold off my MBP and my Mac mini...so I'm ready to buy after the wednesday event.

    I actually want a small, beefy laptop (Core i7 13.3" would be nice). I may go with a i7 X-series thinkpad if nothing similar comes out of this event (linux, I don't use the nasty unless I have to.)
     
  12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #12
    Wait a week or so and buy. I do not expect Apple to update the MBP until around January and if they do update now you have 2 weeks to exchange - even if opened and used. This is their policy and I heard it direct from Apple because I called them up earlier this year to find out their policy for return/exchange when a refresh comes along
     
  13. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

    PhelpsiPhan

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #13
    Just wait until the end of the week and see what happens, it is much better to get a the best computer in 5 days, then to get the best computer, than have it outdated within a couple days
     
  14. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

    HuggyLowDown

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2010
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #14
    Like everyone else is saying, wait until after Wednesday and see what's new. It'll be here before you know it. :)
     
  15. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

    calaverasgrande

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Location:
    Brooklyn, New York.
    #15
    mac pro

    The mac pro needs a makeover.
    The design inside has changed over the years, but the outside of a 12 core xeon looks almost identical to a single G5 mac pro from 7 years ago.
    They are also very big by todays standards! Hopefully the Mac pro will get a refresh while retaining the easy to work on design ( I service these at work).
    I would love to see a half height mac pro for the single cpu (4 core or 6 core) with maybe only 2 internal drive bays and a few less slots.
    But then I would love to see the return of expresscard to the 15" macbook pro as well!
     
  16. blacksand thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #16
    So nothing really new for MBPs at the "Back to Mac" event. The buyers guide is still saying to wait... any ideas on what to do?
     
  17. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    MA
    #17
    As the buyer's guide says, pull the trigger if you need it. The 15" and 17" MBP just received a new 2.8GHZ i7 option, so this would lead me to believe that Apple is putting off an update/upgrade for a little while.

    As with any electronic device: if you can wait, you'll get something that's cheaper/faster/smaller/better...
     
  18. imruntrain macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    #18
    I recently bought a 15 inch MBP 2 days ago. After looking at the MBA announcement today, I cancelled it right away. Luckily, I cancelled it on time.

    Today's event didn't reveal the new MBPs.

    BUT in the MBA, there are new hardware feature upgrade of Flash Storage as a standard feature. As well as the Face Time camera (I don't think this is different from the standard iSight camera). So it is safe to say that the new line up of MBP will include these new features. Since all the technology is there, my thought is that the new ones should be coming out soon. I have been looking at the guide and the trend seems to indicate, something may happen in this month of October.

    If nothing happens after this month, I will probably end up buying it.

    Those are my thoughts.
     
  19. Perdification macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2010
    #19
    Anyone knows when the MBP 13' is going to get a refresh? It's unlikely that there will be another Apple event this year to announce new MBPs. Does that mean we have to wait till next year?
     
  20. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #20
    certainly next year...

    my guess is late feb
     
  21. blacksand thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #21
    Could anyone hazard a guess as to when they'll next update the MBPs? Is it worth waiting up to Christmas to see if they'll be update for then, or by that time is it worth waiting until April!?

    It's not a particularly urgent buy, but if it's not going to be updated majorly until April, and any update before Christmas won't involve hardware... then I'll probably buy now.
     
  22. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

    InvalidBassist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago
    #22
    I would say like they always do, they'll refresh early next year. Nothing new for the holidays.

    You could always go for a refurb to get a little more bang for your buck, as well.
     
  23. blacksand thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #23
    Unfortunately no 15" refurbs on Apple UK site atm. I get 15% discount as a student anyway, so it becomes that *little* bit more affordable! :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page