Macbook Pro: Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBM355, Nov 12, 2007.

1. MBM355 macrumors newbie

I know this question has been asked, but I would like to get as many opinions on this as I can.
    I need a new computer, as my current is getting outdated. I definitely want to get a Macbook Pro. However, I have been reading up a lot, and many people are saying don't buy it now. The thing is I will really only use it for surfing the net, typing on word, and other things(i'm buying it over a Macbook because of size). If the update is just going to be internal changes, I really could care less, but for all I know they could make some really sick design. However, I really like the current Macbook Pro, and for me its really all I need as I won't be doing anything hardcore on it. I can buy it today, I just can't decide if its worth waiting. I would just like to know what other people think, or if they are buying now or waiting. Thanks.

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Design-wise, I doubt much will change. Maybe a new keyboard.

3. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Well this keyboard types better than a new iMac keyboard, I'm sure they won't change that..

4. blammy macrumors newbie

You pretty much answered your own question based on the description of your needs - the decision to wait is much more dependent on your desires. The current product line is more than enough for what you want to do. If you want to do it in the coolest, most cutting edge way possible, that would fall under the desire category and you'd feel better about yourself for waiting. :)

5. cmaier macrumors G3

I figure they might go MacBook-style, like the new external keyboards.

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

New keyboard and removable hard drive perhaps?

And possibly LED-backlight on the 17" model?

There have also been rumours of mysterious trackpad innovations.

Beyond that, and the usual bumps, I can't imagine how they could make the MBP any better.

And I know you want a MBP, but for what you need a MB would be ideal... you could save yourself a few hundred bucks.

SL

7. AustinDing macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the new version since septemble

8. MBM355 thread starter macrumors newbie

Personally I prefer the current keyboard as I'm used to it. Another thing I was thinking about is if Apple announces a new Macbook Pro, it probably won't ship for a while after that...

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'm waiting. I will be holding on to my next machine for 4 years like my current one, so I'll wait a just 2 months longer for the latest and greatest. I am hopeful for MB style replaceable hard drive, but I'm not holding my breath.

10. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I was going to buy a 17 inch MBP with the high res screen yesterday.

Didn't buy in the end as the friendly Apple Store employee who I have got to know over the last few months took a furtive look over his shoulder and then shook his head at me when I announced that I had finally come in to make a purchase. Says I should wait for the new MBP....

11. djkny macrumors 6502

Ah, the furtive glances and "tips." Let that friendly Apple Store employee know that he's off the payroll.

S.Jobs

12. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'm guessing he did not elaborate... :rolleyes:

Apple Store employees are typically not privy to inside information...unless they have new ones in the store room.

13. Josheua macrumors regular

I too was about to purchase a 15.4 macbook pro and a Apple Store Employee who I had my personal shopping experience gave the furtive look over her shoulder and shook her head no, mouthing the worlds "wait till january". She and I had been talking for quite a while about my switch to Mac. ::sigh:: I just wish I had a time machine (a real one....that wasn't a pun)

14. MBM355 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... I wonder if those Apple store employees really know what they're talking about. The thing is I would be kind of mad if I waited until January and it was a internal upgrade, but you never know with Apple...

15. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I second that. In my experience, the Apple Store employees are kept in the dark until the boxes arrive out back.

But, I think that they do have access to some important information. Whether they check the Macrumors's "Buyer's Guide" or not, if they have worked for Apple for some time, they are going to know the general cycle that the products are on. And if you check the buyer's guide, the MBP is getting close to update time. Further, they know, just like we do, that MW '08 is coming up, and they know that event has been used to release new products and updates many times, such as the first MBP. They may also know, though I'm not too sure on this, that new mobile penryn processors are being released soon, and we can expect Apple to keep it's "pro" product steady with the PC competition (hopefully ahead of it). Lastly, there is one thing that Apple Store employees do generally know that we may not. They generally know when their store is recieving less inventory of a product to stock the shelves, which lets them know that an update may be on the way. If you can wait til January, the store employees are probably giving you good advice.

So, there's my 2 cents.

-Ado

16. MBM355 thread starter macrumors newbie

But if it is announced in January, won't it take another month or two to actually be in stores?

17. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Not necessarily. Lately :apple: has had product in the :apple: stores on launch day. At least that is what I am hoping for... :D

18. Josheua macrumors regular

Ditto. Maybe we can get a bunch of people together and storm 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, California should they not be in the stores come January 15th....No...Just a thought...:eek:

19. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

The guy didn't elaborate. He knows I've been looking for a MBP for a while (was going to switch in Feb but waited for Leopard) and that I don't have a desperate need to buy.... assume he just thinks that it would be worth waiting a bit longer ...... whether that's based on some certain knowledge or just his belief that an upgrade is due in the next weeks/months, I don't know.

20. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Im waiting right now too, but only because I dont have the dough right now... I would buy if I could swing it because as someone mentioned, if there is a major update in January, we may not see the best next generation MBP's until late '08

21. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'm waiting. The current models will drop significantly in price too
    even if you don't think you need cutting edge.

Think of it this way-saving a couple hundred a month to wait to buy a current model or get all the new features for free.

22. MBM355 thread starter macrumors newbie

I might buy it tonight, thanks for all your help. Honestly for what I do the current model is more than enough. I'm currently using an iBook G4 and i'm perfectly happy with it, so the Macbook Pro should be a huge upgrade.