Macbook Pro Buying Advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foiegras, Mar 31, 2009.

1. foiegras macrumors newbie

Hi

I've been using my 17" Powerbook for 3 years now, it's ready to die and is acting erratic, it's on it's last legs for sure, it lags, Disk Utility gives tonnes of issues, it won't boot successfully always, sometimes it boots with a weird garbled screen where there's a stretched pink split-screen thing going on. Anyways you get the picture, I need to buy a new notebook this week because I have some work deadlines to meet.

My question is: Is it the right time to buy one or is an update expected? If so when do you guys guesstimate the update?

I want to get the 2.66 with 4Gig Ram.

Thanks

2. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

The buyer's guide on this forum says it's time for an update within the next month, but that only means a probable slight bump in processor speed, etc. The actual unibody version itself will see another couple of years. It's just minor component revisions that'll keep happening every few months most likely. :)

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

3. foiegras thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

So I should just go for it?

How's the battery life on it for you?

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I would. In fact, I just did. Got the Pro in my sig less than a week ago, and I love it. I don't think any updates will happen that I can't live without. I have the processing power, RAM, video capabilities, screen, and form factor I want. So I really didn't have a reason to wait. :)

As far as battery life, it's not as good as my black macbook (even with the discrete graphics video card turned off), but it's really nice.