MacBook Pro Buying Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ForumViewer, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ForumViewer macrumors member

Hello, long time reader, first time poster here on MacRumors. :)

Anyway, I'm going to be upgrading my aging white 13" MacBook (circa 2006) very soon. Question I'm wondering is what MBP model to get, the 13" or 15".

I know any upgrade will show a MASSIVE improvement over my current C2D, but that Quad core i7 in the 15" just sounds beastly so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on it...I'm just not sure if it's really needed for what I do.

I do occasional video editing, LOTS of photoshop and image work, little gaming, and other typical stuff.

Given I don't really need the dedicated GPU, what do you guys think? Is the quad i7 worth paying for over the dual i5?

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

If you are actually doing HD video editing more than your typical "I have FCP installed so I can look cool", then I wouldn't even consider the 13" an option. Heck, the resolution is so cramped, i'm surprised you didn't want to chuck your computer with it's 1280x800 screen (and you do Photoshop on that? You're a brave man/woman).

If gaming isn't that big a deal, go with the base 15" and stick in an SSD. You'll wonder why on earth you waited so long to upgrade.

3. Bossboss macrumors member

You are right saying any improvement will show a massive improvement.

The main factor to consider, apart from the size difference, is the dedicated gpu on the 15". If you have any interest in games or real-time rendering, which taxes the gpu, then don't hesitate to get the 15".

Also, for Photoshop work, the 13" screen with its low-res may not suffice. Get the 15" hi-res, and you'll have more real-estate.

If you got the $, get the 15", it's def. worth it. Dual is fast, quad is faster.

4. ForumViewer thread starter macrumors member

Wound up getting the 15"er. The idea of a quad core i7 was a little too good to pass up. Walked into the Apple Store and took one quick glance at the 15" MBP next to it's 13" brother and instantly made my decision. Was more than I really wanted to spend, but my previous MacBook has lasted many years and I expect this one to do the same. Cheers.