Macbook Pro buying advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macunkie, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. macunkie macrumors newbie


    Jun 12, 2004
    Northern Nevada
    I'm thinking of buying a 17inch Macbook Pro.
    Before I do, I'm wondering if Apple is due to release any new MacBook Pro models before the end of the year or early next year.

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. scienide09 macrumors 65816


    May 5, 2007
    The MBPs were recently updated, so it's not a bad time to buy. Any updates later in the year are speculation only at this point.

    If the current MBPs meet your needs, why wait? There's always going to be another update around the corner, so eventually you'll have to decide to buy.

    On the other hand, if you don't need/want a new computer, then wait as long as you can.
  3. simsfanatic macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2007
  4. techlover828 macrumors 68020


    Jun 28, 2007
    hey, he's my step brother (really)

    I won't say it anymore, sorry mods :D

    Anyway, The MBPs were just updated so don't expect an update until next year
  5. galstaph macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2002
    The Great White North Eh
    Next updates are a ways away if anything the displays will eventually get LCD backlighting in the 17, maybe (if feasible) the 2.8 at the high end, but probably not until january or later... hence why I'm buying now:D
  6. pmartin macrumors regular

    Apr 23, 2005
    Yeah, now would be the time to buy. Of course, no matter when you buy it's just a matter of time before something faster comes out. I'm typing this on my (once latest and greatest) Core Duo MacBook Pro. Having said that, I still love my machine, despite the fact that there's a newer MBP out, and on top o that, Daystar said they are looking into producing CPU upgrades for it at some point. Long story short, buy when you need it, it'll eventually age anyway. Having said that, now is a good time.
  7. GeorgeD macrumors member

    Aug 10, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as macunkie. I really would like a 15" MBP right now but it pains me to think after spending so much money, it will be outdated in a short amount of time.:confused:
  8. fr4c macrumors 65816


    Jul 27, 2007
    Hamster wheel
    something will always be around the corner, especially with computers. if the current MBP meets your needs, and you need a computer, then get it now. they have just been upgraded with the SR chipset, new graphics chip, and even new software (iLife 08') so its a good time to buy now. you probably wont see updates till early next year, if that. usually it takes Apples about 6 months or so to dramatically change something in their product lineup. but ATM as far as processors and graphics go, we're pretty much at a peak point until something amazing comes along. at the moment I can only think of the Intel 2.8ghz procs, but I doubt we'll see those in laptops anytime soon.
  9. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    Ebay the last generation of mbps. You will see that they are not outdated that quickly. Even older Powerbook G4s are doing well. The mbp will last for years to come. Plus, it was only updated two months ago. It won't see an update until at least November, and even then, it's not a guarentee. If you need one now, buy it now. If you can hold out, then hold out. It really isn't too hard if you think about it.
  10. rest44 macrumors member


    Sep 24, 2006
    we can see an update on the macbook pro when a new laptop chip is released by intel.

    meanwille they stick with this i guess.
  11. techlover828 macrumors 68020


    Jun 28, 2007
    unless they come out with a new ultraportable mbp
  12. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a


    Oct 14, 2005
    Macs tend to hold a good resell value. Don't think that by buying one now and they update in 6 months that it won't be worth anything. You can't live life like this in the comptuer world. Buy now and be happy :)

Share This Page