Macbook Pro buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G8AMB, May 23, 2008.

  1. G8AMB macrumors member


    Jan 17, 2008
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Ok, I have made up my mind to buy a Macbook Pro, I will wait until after the developers conference just incase a refresh comes along - but I guess it probably won't so here is my short list:-

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, 256MB Video RAM
    + 4GB memory upgrade
    + 7200 rpm hard drive upgrade


    Macbook Pro 2.5GHz, 512MB Video RAM

    So my question is would you take a hard drive speed/memory upgrade over a faster processor and better graphics card?

    What are you experiences?

    - I am concerned that the new 2.4GHz processor has less cache than the previous model - should I be or does the speed increase compensate for this.
    - I know some people will suggest upgrading the memory myself - but this will only save me about £45 so I would rather keep the apple warranty - especially if I go for apple care.
    - I have read mixed opinions in the forums - I am not really interested in speed tests - just real use experience.

    I will use it for:-
    - browsing/email
    - Microsoft office
    - Editing home video and photographs
    - DVD burning
    - using training material (under bootcamp or vmware)
    - perhaps a bit of gaming
  2. superleccy macrumors 6502a


    Oct 31, 2004
    That there big London
    For what you want it for, a MBP is probably overkill anyway.

    Yes get the 4GB RAM. By my calculation, if you shop at crucial, you save £57 not £45. And as long as you don't damage your machine in the process, you won't invalidate your warranty (if you do need it claim, then just replace the original Apple memory before you send it back).

    Get the biggest hard drive you can, as this is difficult to replace in an MBP (particularly if you're cautious about your warranty). Go for 5400rpm, as you probably won't notice the difference for a 7200rpm... but stay clear of the 4200rpm.

    You probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two processors.

    The better graphics card is only worth it if you're seriously into 3D gaming.

    But seriously... consider a MacBook, and wait until after WWDC if you can.

  3. peterdevries macrumors 68040


    Feb 22, 2008
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    It always depends on what you are going to do with it. I found that a memory upgrade makes a big diff in all cases, and upgrading memory yourself does not void the warranty!!!! So safe yourself the extra 45 pounds and invest this into a nice case or something.

    If you want to do a lot of gaming than the increased graphic memory might come in handy. This is probably also true for video editing, although I don't have any experience with this personally.

    I would go for the second option and upgrade the memory myself. See how it works with the normal harddrive. If your activities are slow because of that (which I can't imagine) you can always choose to upgrade later and put the "old" drive on ebay. For normal household video, photoediting and games the normal drive should be sufficient.
  4. G8AMB thread starter macrumors member


    Jan 17, 2008
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Interesting comments about the Macbook - I had been put off by the size and type of the screen (glossy and not LED back light).
    But it is very easy to get carried away when looking at specs.

    I guess then I get into the area of do I wait for the alluminium case.

    June is nearly here but September is still a way off.

Share This Page