Macbook Pro Buying Conundrum - Advice if you please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbruemmer, Mar 22, 2010.

  1. bbruemmer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    #1
    Hey everyone, I know there have been a lot of people wanting buying advice on here and i hate to muddy the waters but i could use some advice as well.

    The job I've held for the last few years has a non-profit account with Apple and gets a pretty steep discount on their products. The thing is, I'm moving to a different job after this week and will lose the discount. If I were to buy the 2.8 15" MBP and apple care I'll save nearly $400. In your opinion is this upgrade worth waiting for and paying full price for or am I better off buying now with the discount?

    Also... My current laptop is a Sept. 2005 Macbook (black case) 2.0 gHz core-duo, 2GB RAM. I do a lot of graphic design and photo editing (18MP RAW images) and it is pretty slow at times. When I buy a new MBP am I better off getting the 2.8 with the standard 4GB RAM or would It be better to buy the middle of the road (about $270 cheaper) and throwing in some extra cash for 8GB RAM?

    Thanks for your advice


    PS - I'm hoping the new MBPs come out this tuesday so i don't have to make this decision :D
     
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #2
    take the discount and use that 400 for your next computer fund

    there IS ALWAYS better tech around the corner
     
  3. bcrguy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Location:
    Burlington Ontario Canada
    #3
    did you mean the 17 inch... i didnt think they made 25 inch laptops...
     
  4. bbruemmer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    #4
    haha, I meant to type 15"

    25" would be one huge laptop :D
     
  5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #5
    yo mama is so fat, that she needs a 25" laptop and she STILL can't read the screen since its so far from her face!

    *bad attempt at a "yo mama" joke i know :eek:
     
  6. savar macrumors 68000

    savar

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    District of Columbia
    #6
    $400 sounds like a good enough discount to pull the trigger. Maybe wait till Wednesday for Friday thought?? Just in case.

    As for clock speed versus memory: I always lean towards memory. The way most people work, they like to have lots of apps open, and apps are only getting more and more memory hungry. You're talking about a 5-10% difference in clock speed (not noticeable in casual use) versus a 100% increase in memory for less money.
     
  7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

    randy98mtu

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    #7
    I agree, take advantage of the discount. I would go for the CPU though. You can always upgrade memory later, but you can't upgrade the CPU.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    wait till tomorrow to see if by chance apple will have the new models available, otherwise get one now )
     
  9. bbruemmer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    #9
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll bite the bullet on Thursday or Friday of this week.
     

Share This Page