Macbook Pro Buying Conundrum - Advice if you please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbruemmer, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bbruemmer macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I know there have been a lot of people wanting buying advice on here and i hate to muddy the waters but i could use some advice as well.

The job I've held for the last few years has a non-profit account with Apple and gets a pretty steep discount on their products. The thing is, I'm moving to a different job after this week and will lose the discount. If I were to buy the 2.8 15" MBP and apple care I'll save nearly $400. In your opinion is this upgrade worth waiting for and paying full price for or am I better off buying now with the discount?

Also... My current laptop is a Sept. 2005 Macbook (black case) 2.0 gHz core-duo, 2GB RAM. I do a lot of graphic design and photo editing (18MP RAW images) and it is pretty slow at times. When I buy a new MBP am I better off getting the 2.8 with the standard 4GB RAM or would It be better to buy the middle of the road (about $270 cheaper) and throwing in some extra cash for 8GB RAM?

Thanks for your advice

PS - I'm hoping the new MBPs come out this tuesday so i don't have to make this decision :D

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

take the discount and use that 400 for your next computer fund

there IS ALWAYS better tech around the corner

3. bcrguy macrumors regular

did you mean the 17 inch... i didnt think they made 25 inch laptops...

4. bbruemmer thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, I meant to type 15"

25" would be one huge laptop :D

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yo mama is so fat, that she needs a 25" laptop and she STILL can't read the screen since its so far from her face!

*bad attempt at a "yo mama" joke i know :eek:

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

$400 sounds like a good enough discount to pull the trigger. Maybe wait till Wednesday for Friday thought?? Just in case.

As for clock speed versus memory: I always lean towards memory. The way most people work, they like to have lots of apps open, and apps are only getting more and more memory hungry. You're talking about a 5-10% difference in clock speed (not noticeable in casual use) versus a 100% increase in memory for less money.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I agree, take advantage of the discount. I would go for the CPU though. You can always upgrade memory later, but you can't upgrade the CPU.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

wait till tomorrow to see if by chance apple will have the new models available, otherwise get one now )

9. bbruemmer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll bite the bullet on Thursday or Friday of this week.