Macbook pro buying guide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViVaPinata, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ViVaPinata macrumors newbie

I'm going to america in october and because its so much cheaper i buy my apple stuff in america so I'm thinking of buying a macbook pro in america should i wait for this new one that is apparently coming out or should i just go ahead and buy one in october? and do you think there will be a massive speed, graphics card increase in the new mbp's ?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

If you were coming right now in August, I'd say buy. But no one knows what the rumour-mill will be like in October. By then we may have leaks and pictures and such or we may have nothing. Hard to tell at this point.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If there is a new MBP that comes out this year again, then it will only have sandy bridge processor. IVY bridge processor is not due until 2012.

Apple will most likely take design cues from MBA and make MBP slimmer and lighter. Also, they will most likely axe the HDD and take SSD as standard.

Every time there is an update, there will be improvements.

Will there be new MBP in late 2011? Maybe.

But, will it be out by early October? Probably not.

4. akhbhaat macrumors regular

It's possible but I definitely wouldn't count on it. After all, the Mini was just refreshed alongside the MBA and it still has a conventional magnetic platter drive. 256 GB SSDs are still stupid expensive and 128 GB is going to be a tough sell for any power user who uses this machine as a primary computer (and, for the ~$2000+ 15" and 17" models, I imagine this will be true of many).

I'm still willing to believe that Apple respects the professional market enough (and here I mean "professionals" in terms of developers and content creators, not generic white collar professionals who use their computers in a more casual sense) to give us the choices and the power that we expect and quite often need. I'd also say most of us are quite happy with the Pro's current form factor; losing ports and drive bays and battery capacity in exchange for the gimmicky act of slimming down the chassis would not go over well with me and many others.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Buy.

Ivy Bridge has been delayed to later in 2012 than Sandy Bridge was in 2011. That said, don't expect a new MBP until late Q1 2012 or more realistically Q2 2012.

Apple has been sticking very closely to Intel's CPU release paths as of lately while they killed off Core 2 Duo, so it's pretty predictable when and what they will release.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you can wait, then wait. If you need it, buy.

Apple just took out optical drive on Mac Mini. They are absolutely serious about killing optical drive on their platforms. Optical Drive is their new adobe Flash. Apple wants everyone to go to the cloud and internet.

I expect MBP refresh late 2011 with slightly faster Sandy Bridge CPU and new design.

Apple doesn't care a crap about putting latest technology onto their laptops.

Redesign on MBP should be more than enough for them to justify the MBP refresh.

When MBA was released in late 2010, it was missing core iSeries processor and backlit keyboard. Did they not sell well? They sold very well.

And then apple just released new MBA with faster processor and backlit keyboard.

This company doesn't care about putting the latest technology and specs.

7. Synergie macrumors 6502a

That's all well and good if you have access to the internet!

What about those of us in the Navy, like me... on a submarine... while at sea, I do not have access to the net at all!

I DO use my optical drive... we have a DVD library on board that we can borrow and watch in our bunk. It would be very hard to do that with no optical drive! They'd have to have a dedicated computer with a huge HDD filled with the movie library on board so that people could copy a movie as needed to USB thumb drives... = big PITA!!!

I hope they don't get rid of the optical drive!

8. rattler macrumors regular

The MacBook Pro lineup was just updated in February. I doubt we'll see another refresh in October.

9. tombubi macrumors regular

So buy it when you need one. Otherwise, wait.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm with you on the optical drive. I'm one of the oldtimers who still prefers DVD.