Macbook pro buying questions, gaming, video editing, montevina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duykur, Mar 15, 2008.

1. duykur macrumors regular

hello everyone,

first of, I am in dire need of a new computer (check my sig.) and have chosen to get a laptop for mobility purposes (taking it to school). I have looked into getting a Macbook pro 2.5 15 inch model.

my questions are:

1. i will be doing moderate gaming on the laptop (world in conflict, crysis, mass effect for pc out soon, spore ftw.) I don't need the the games to run at max but would prefer if they did. can the macbook pro handle these games?

2. i will be doing video editing i.e. final cut pro

3.i have looked into buying a dell xps or ailenware or Toshiba but dell xps15 inch gaming laptop is worse than the macbook pro and i don't want to get a 17 inch (mobility). ailenware are too expensive for their gaming laptops. and Toshiba's are stuck with hd dvd.

should i get a macbook pro now, wait for montevina, or get an xps or anything else

2. Asnyers macrumors newbie

Macbook pro will be fine, but don't expect your games to run at max settings, more something like medium settings.
    As for the video editing, final cut pro really is the way to go.
    If you would really like to play your games at max settings, also take a look at Vigor gaming laptops. They deliver great quality gaming-laptops at a good price.
    http://www.vigorgaming.com/product/rigs-artorius.html
    But in terms of looks, go for the Macbook pro ;)

Asnyers.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The answer is the MBP will do everything you need.

4. duykur thread starter macrumors regular

5. wildwobby macrumors member

Don't bother waiting for montevina if you don't really care about a POSSIBLE case redesign or WiMax. Those are the only new things that are going to be included. Processors won't change much at all, graphics will stay the same. Buy now!

6. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

The faster bus speed (1066 vs 800 now) will definitely lead to noticeable speed increases.