Macbook Pro Buying

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingk120, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. kingk120 macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2008
    I was just wondering on if I should go ahead and buy a Macbook Pro now, or wait until they update it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
  2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    What do you intend use the computer for when you get it?
  3. kingk120 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2008
    uhmm... Use it about everyday using Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, and just stuff like that.
  4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Get a MacBook for that sort of thing.

    Wait for those, though, or not, seeing as the current ones are more computer than you'll ever seem to need.
  5. kingk120 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2008
    i know but i still want the Macbook Pro anyways. lol
  6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    The MacBook is a great machine. You could save yourself a LOT of money by buying one because they are just as powerful and just as fast at doing the things you want to do. They also look nicer, have a much better keyboard and are more compact than the Pros.
  7. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

    Apr 17, 2008
    They aren't just as powerful (better graphics, screen, other minor things), saying they look nicer, have a much better keyboard are opinions, and being more compact doesn't matter to everyone. I find the macbook keyboard highly unresponsive and too spread out between the keys and are much harder to type on. I think they macbooks look like standard computers just like other companies.

    But to answer your question, which no one here has done so far, if you want to possibly catch an update wait till the end of the summer. But seeing that the update will be a speed increase, you probably won't need it and would be perfectly happy with a current mbp. It comes down to when you want a laptop and if you can or care about waiting.
  8. iKenny macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2004
    Paris, France
    I'm thinking about upgrading too, but I've been hearing the new MBP will be a complete redesign, not just a speed increase. Anyone else hear this?

    I'm a little stuck also b/c I'm graduating college in a few days and want to get the MBP w/ the discount (as well as the free iPod touch :p). Has anyone had any luck using the discount after graduating (I'll still have my student ID)?
  9. kockgunner macrumors 68000


    Sep 24, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    i just ordered a mbp for university because i wasn't expecting any updates for the rest of the year. is apple going to use monetevina or skip it?
  10. alecxx macrumors newbie

    Apr 11, 2008
    if you can afford it...go w/ the's a different class will notice it since the very 1st start up...
  11. odog402 macrumors member

    May 26, 2008
    I'm in the same situation. I would love to wait for the update but price is a factor for me and I'm pretty sure they won't throw in the free ipod touch with next MBP update so I guess my time to buy it is now.
  12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    In web browsing, word processing and photo editing there will be no difference whatsoever. The MacBook and Pro use exactly the same 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo chips.
  13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    For what you want to do, either the MacBook or MacBook Pro should work. If you consider possible future needs or expansion plans, one other distinction between the two is that if you ever want to use a 30" ACD, you can't do that with a MacBook, only a MacBook Pro. Also, no Firewire 800 on the MB. These differences that may not matter to you, but thought I'd mention it.
  14. pdxflint macrumors 68020


    Aug 25, 2006
    Oregon coast
    Why don't you consider a refurbished macbook pro? I bought one for $1449, and it has everything I need. Great keyboard, IMO - better than the chicklets. Also, vastly superior display, 1440x900 with led backlit technology. Better graphics (all refurbs now come with 256mb video.) Both MB or MBP will work for you, but I think you'll really be happy you stepped up if you do.

    Also, you can choose between glossy and matte display, an option not available with the consumer macbook. That was important to me, it may not be to you.

    Have fun with your new machine, whichever way you go. :)
  15. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

    May 26, 2008
    Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
    If you can afford the MBP, buy it, you will not regret it. My MBP puts a smile on my face everyday! I wouldn't wait, since no one knows when the new redesign will come out. Buy one now and enjoy a state of the art machine.
  16. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 29, 2006
    Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I went the refurbished route in fall 2007 and was able to get another rebate on top of the lower price because I referenced a 3rd party retailer (techound1). However, right now with the education discount, you do get that ipod so it may be a bit of a toss up on what to do. By going refurb instead of education discount, you save $100 extra on the 2.4ghz and $150 extra on the 2.5ghz - but no iPod. which may be worth it on the 2.5ghz, but I'm not sure on the 2.4ghz if saving the extra $100 is worth sacrificing the ipod.
  17. Snowbound macrumors regular

    May 19, 2008
    Something else to consider is surfing craigslist in your area. Great deals come to those who wait...I ended up with a 2.33 C2D MBP for 1150 yesterday. Terrific upgrade for me. So I'd consider it if I were you.
  18. fleshman03 macrumors 68000


    May 27, 2008
    Sioux City, IA

    Ok so since I'm in the market and I'm perusing these forums, I took your advice and looked at craigslist. Found this:

    Seems fishy?

Share This Page