MacBook Pro buzzing in headphones when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodmac, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ipodmac macrumors regular

My 2012 macbook pro retina has an annoying buzzing sound when the headphones are plugged in and the power is on. If the power is switched off the buzzing sound goes away completely. This issue has only recently started, has anyone experienced this before and know how to fix it? Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

It could be a grounding issue. Does this happen regardless of the power outlet being used? What about using the 3 pronged cable instead of the duckhead?

3. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

ipodmac,

check your headphone jack, see if there may be a slight bend; you may not be getting a proper connection due to the bend. you can also check your headphone jack port to see if it may have some debris in it...

4. ipodmac thread starter macrumors regular

its not to do with the anything in the headphone socket, I've done a bit of digging and it appears its something to do with grounding, not sure might try a reset and see if that changes anything

5. ipodmac thread starter macrumors regular

Just found that its related to a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter as when i unplug it the sound stops. I have a power line adapter and have read that they can cause RF inference between devices which is being picked up by my headphone socket.

6. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

interesting, good to know; i'll keep this in mind...