Macbook Pro C2D's DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tilpots, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Getting a Samsung 1080P HDTV (LN-T4066F) from Best Buy and wanted to be able to hook up my MBP to the new set. Looking for advice on how to hook it up. Should I get the DVI->HDMI adapter than run an HDMI cable? Or get the DVI->HDMI cable? Any help appreciated...Brand New to the HDTV realm. Thanks!

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Either one will work, but if your setup changes -- you can much more easily use an extra HDMI cable than a DVI-HDMI cable.

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you don't need dual-link for 1080p... 1080p is slightly less resolution than the 23" ACD.

6. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Can You Provide An Example Of What I Should Look For In The Dual Link Cable?

7. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

For anyone interested, here's what I ended up going with from the folks at cablesondemand.com:

HDMI MALE TO DVI-D M SNGL LNK, 3M
    Product ID# AV-HDMIMDVIDS-003

8. hanHans macrumors newbie

I’m not sure that boot camp will work with an hdmi-dvi adapter, because it doesn’t work with the apple dvi to s-video adapter. However, boot camp works fine with and hdmi-dvi cabel...

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

3 meters is only six feet. Are you sure that's long enough? Obviously, I have no idea of how your set-up is arranged, but since you're using a laptop and a big TV, I'm assuming you'll be on a couch.

Unless you're using a BT keyboard/mouse, you might want to check your seating arrangement to see if you need more than six feet.

ft

10. Patrick415 macrumors newbie

3m is about 10 feet. 1m=3.3 feet.:)
    I agree wth previous post, use an HDMI cable and an adaptor. I used this setup for a sat box and when I upgraded to a newer model, I just dropped the adaptor vs. buying a new cable!

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Whoops! I guess I shouldn't be plotting the course for the Enterprise any time soon. :D

In any case, the OP should review his seating distances anyway. I'd rather have the longer cable and not need it than having the shorter one and wishing that I did...

12. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

The cable's being delivered this weekend... The 10+ ft should put the laptop squarley on the coffee table, so it should fit perfect. I went with the all-in-one cable over the adaptor just so there's one less thing to lose! It was only about $9 dollars, a few bucks less than getting the adaptor and the cable. Hooking it up to my MBP's the only use for the cable, anyway. Will post more when I get it in hand. Thanks for all the advice.

13. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

The DVI to HDMI cable works great! And the image looks freakin amazing up on that big 'ol screen. No adapter is nice too. One less thing to put together.

14. daverama macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, did you do anything with audio for your setup? For example, if you were outputting video to your HDTV from your MBP it seems as though you would want to run the audio to your HDTV, as well. I suppose that would take another cable (mini-jack to RCA?). Anyone have any experience with the audio side of this?

15. appie57 macrumors 6502

appie57

Mac DVI to HDMI Pana LCD TV works just fine. Audio over mini-jack (audio-out on the Mac) to RCA plugs on the TV works also fine. Cable everywhere available.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just keep in mind that not all TVs have audio inputs for the HDMI ports. On my Sharp, which has two HDMI ports, only one of them have aux audio ports.

I would suspect that most TVs with DVI or VGA would have audio ports for those connections.

ft

17. apiccinati macrumors newbie

Did your cables work after you bought them?

And did that work for you? Thanks, Art

18. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

as far as the audio, do the new MBP have optical audio out?

optical audio out (toslink) sound a MILLION times better than ****** RCA's.
    Your surround sound gets more milage too (i.e- it actually sounds like surround)

just sayin':D

19. dinasaur macrumors newbie

I'm retarded

I'm pretty sure I have the same set up. Mini display port to DVI adapter to DVI-D to HDMI, yet all I get is the factory macbook purple star splash display on my tele, and then a black screen when I try to play videos. Any clues as to whats going on? Thanks!:eek:

20. boch82 macrumors 6502

you can also just get a Mini Display to HDMI adapter..not too epxensive

with audio
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675023-REG/Kanex_MDPHDMIUSB_iAdapt_20_Mini_DisplayPort.html

or video only

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743624-REG/CablesToGo_54161_9_228_6_Mac_Compatible_Mini.html

21. dinasaur macrumors newbie

Thanks boch!

I actually solved the problem. Ignorant me, I needed to mirror my device. All is well now! Thanks again for replying!!!:apple: