MacBook Pro Camera Delete Option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hsvmoon, Aug 17, 2007.

1. hsvmoon macrumors newbie

I have been a powerbook software developer for a while and one of the rules of my job is no cameras in the office. I was wondering if the lack of a camera delete option means anyone else will have to switch away from mac? I fear that this is another Jobs knows better than you issue. I prefer OS X, but may have to go DELL/UBUNTU/VISTA if the option is not added. The old G4 powerbook is getting old and will be replaced inside a year. Anybody have any contacts at Apple?

2. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

3. Stephen-EXV macrumors newbie

Couldn't you pry the screen apart and take a pair of pliers to it? It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to just yank it out, but then again i've never tried it.

4. Shorties macrumors 6502a

You probably could find some model paint from a hobby store that matches the MBP color and just paint over the lens.

5. kolax macrumors G3

You'll find that most other laptops include built-in cameras.

Stupid office if they won't let you use a notebook with one built in.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You could use this and block it, although I didn't read enough to see if it works with a MBP.

7. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

That link was disconcerting. Maybe I should put some tape or something over the camera. Also, I recall a security service for laptops that can patch in to your computer if its stolen and take pics of the thief remotely.

So much for privacy.

8. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I can think of tons of places where cameras aren't allowed. Many, many places in the aerospace industry are this way.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm pretty sure Apple is the only company that has mandatory built-in cameras across the entire notebook product line. It's pretty easy to find a non-Apple laptop w/o a camera as many business won't allow them (or cell phones w/cameras) for security reasons.

Lethal

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Most PC laptops come with an option; it is not usually all or nothing.

Government offices cannot risk any kind of camera coming into the same area as their most sensitive documents. Many government agents can't have phones with cameras either.

11. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

That actually looks like it could work, so that way you can use the cam if you want to another time. Though, as far as I know, it is possible to take out the cam (though I have never attempted it myself).

- Daniel

12. hsvmoon thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a case of security rules over any and all video cameras. I just whish that Apple would allow a build to order option to remove the camera. I do think the camera is neat and I am not worried about privacy issues. I think this issue will limit the adoption of Apple hardware into secure facilities. I work in the scientific modeling industry and need 64-bit support, Unix, and Office to do my job. Apple is the only one to offer all of that in one package.

13. DA-Steve macrumors regular

could you swap the screen bezel from your power book to the MBP?

14. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

That will definitely not work.

Tape over the camera with black electrical tape. I work in a secure facility and we have to show security at the door that we've taped over cell phone cameras, but they don't forbid us from having them (as it has gotten rediculously hard to find a camera-free phone these days).

15. DA-Steve macrumors regular

what would stop you peeling the tape off and snapping a pic?

16. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

...and be sure to examine your pointy object by looking at it very closely with your eye:p

18. uglyd0g macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but I don't understand anybody who would suggest buying a 2000+ dollar computer and advise to break the camera... or paint over it. Or pry the screen apart (which happens to be the most expensive part of the MBP).

Tape seems to be the most logical solution. You'd think that any office that deals with programing computers would understand that a lot of computers do come with cameras built in and it's probably not advised to break it in any way.

I do agree however, what keeps somebody from peeling off the tape? Simply don't use your camera... What are the chances that somebody is going to hack into your computer and take pictures of your face... working... at your job? Boring. And who would really think they could stealth around with a MBP open ready to use it as a secret agent style camera?

I'd be surprised if anybody you work with would even notice it. This sounds like a case of "Well... I read through the rules... how many of them am I breaking?" Kind of like when kids stretch the dress code in high school to see if they can get away with it.

Another comparable rule is "Always drive with both hands on the wheel."

19. rakester macrumors member

Just open up the case and remove the camera, job done

I'm sure Apple would do it for you as well if you asked them nicely in store if you explain the situation :)

20. uglyd0g macrumors newbie

I've got a better idea! Just smash the camera with a hammer! Job done!

21. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

And then post a reply to a two year old thread that you bumped 7 months ago!:rolleyes: