Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lithium.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Hey :)

I'm thinking about buying a Macbook Pro (when the new ones come out) and I was wondering about upgrading the hard drive.

I assume the design will be the same as the current gen MBPs so would it be possible to swap out the old HD for a SSD one later down the road?

Thanks!

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Just make sure you aren't voiding any warranty by doing so. But yes, it's possible to take apart a Macbook Pro and replace the hard drive.

clops

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Many partner shops will even do it for you (including OS X Setup) in case you buy the new MBP and the new SSD from them. I guess it will even be cheaper than buyng separately.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
Just make sure you aren't voiding any warranty by doing so. But yes, it's possible to take apart a Macbook Pro and replace the hard drive.

voiding a warranty only happens when you break something. I would STRONGLY recommend a computer screw driver set and be patient and lay everything out in the same way it came out. Very easy. While transferring my new ssd I took it in and out 3 times in a matter of minutes.

its a good thing to be able to do as the prices for doing this are really inflated

cobalt79

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Will the Genius Bar upgrade parts for you? If so, I assume you'd have to buy them from Apple?

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
To the OP, make sure to buy the special hex screwdriver. You'll have a tough time without it. Once you have the right tools just follow the iFixit video. Changing the HD is very simple.

gkp

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2009
I upgraded mine, works great

It was pretty easy. I got this one: Hitachi 500 gig 7200
Nice and quiet and runs fast. Don't notice any excessive heat either.
I watched the instruction video on Macsales.com for switching out the HD. The ONLY thing that made me nervous was the first screw. It is TIGHT and if you strip it, then you are screwed (literally). I remember stripping out a few screws on my old 12" powerbook and I messed up the chance to switch out the HD and upgrade ram.
Make sure you have the proper tools and press down firmly when unscrewing. That is my 2¢
:)

cobalt79

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
I asked this question of an Apple Rep and was told that I could not upgrade my hard drive. I followed up by asking how I could replace the hard drive if it failed, to which I was informed that an Apple Care rep would assist me since Apple does not sell hard drives.

Seems like a load of baloney if you ask me. I would also like to upgrade my RAM, but of course was told that only Krusty Brand (Apple) RAM would be covered by my warranty.

What's the deal with Apple anyways? Seems like anytime you want to do anything to any of their products, you are required to use their parts and service people or else its like "crossing the streams" (i.e. Ghostbusters)

Thoughts?

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I asked this question of an Apple Rep and was told that I could not upgrade my hard drive. I followed up by asking how I could replace the hard drive if it failed, to which I was informed that an Apple Care rep would assist me since Apple does not sell hard drives.

Sounds like somebody was trying to sell you an expensive BTO option. I ordered a 13" unibody MBP over the phone and the rep tried to sell me a BTO too. I said thanks just the same and told her I could upgrade it myself at a much lower price. She then told me I would void the warantee. I still declined on the BTO. When my unibody arrived, I found that the manual actually includes instructions for changing out the HDD. Yes, I mean the manual that came in the box with the computer.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Seems like a load of baloney if you ask me. I would also like to upgrade my RAM, but of course was told that only Krusty Brand (Apple) RAM would be covered by my warranty.

What's the deal with Apple anyways? Seems like anytime you want to do anything to any of their products, you are required to use their parts and service people or else its like "crossing the streams" (i.e. Ghostbusters)

Thoughts?

They are trying to protect themselves from idiots who don't know what they are doing upgrading with wrong parts, messing up the computer and then taking it to apple for a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.