Macbook Pro can not access certain files on External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarpon65, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Tarpon65 macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased a Toshiba 2 TG external hard drive to hold media files for my Western Digital TV Live Plus media player. I formatted the hard drive in OS Extended Journaled and my macbook pro has no trouble seeing the hard drive and transferring data to it from my mac's internal hard drive. My issue is that some transferred files will not show up right away on the Toshiba hard drive. I have to search them out by name and then most of the time they will appear, but other times, I have to wait quite awhile for them to show up. I was transferring via an eSATA cable and originally blamed it on this, but it is also happening when using a USB cable. Any ideas?

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Doesn't show up when you go to that directory in finder? From the terminal shell? Maybe they aren't actually got as far as the copy yet if you chose several large files to copy at once.

3. Tarpon65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, I can not see certain transferred or previously existing files when I try to view them on the external hard drive using Finder. In a bunch of cases, they are files I moved over at a previous time, not necessarily newly copied files. They will show up and are able to play on the wdtv live media player and show up in the networked file system, but are not always visible to my macbook pro when hooked up via eSATA or USB directly.

4. jtus macrumors member

format the drive OS Extended you only use Journaled for internal drives

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is wrong. Journaling is not intended only for internal drives. Educate yourself so you don't post misinformation:

Mac OS X: About file system journaling

6. thedbp macrumors member

Danger Will Robinson! This person is so completely dead wrong it's not funny. That's really, REALLY terrible advice. Journaled is the way to go for all drives.

7. Tarpon65 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have been better off formatting without the journaling, as the media player does not play well with the journaling as far as transferring files over the wireless network. I did turn the journaling off via disk utility, but it made no difference either way as files were disappearing before and after I made the change.