macbook pro/canon zr600- camera not recognized?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by logpinata, Jun 20, 2007.

1. logpinata macrumors newbie

hi,

i'm having trouble with my computer not reading the cameras attached to my firewire port. i have a 4-6 pin firewire cable. i have tried with both finalcut and imovie. in finalcut, it says the firewire device is missing. in imovie, when i put the little slider under the image to camera mode, it doesn't list anything as an option other than the built in macbook camera. in no way has my computer recognized that there is something on the port. i have the camera set to playback mode. i have also tried restarting the computer. the camera was bought refurbished- is it busted? thanks!

2. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Do you have any other firewire devices, like a hard drive or a different camera, to see if the problem might be with the port on your MacBook? Have you tried a different cable? Just some quick tests to verify where the problem lies.

3. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

AC Power Adapter needed?

My Sony camcorder needs to have its AC power adapter plugged in to be recognized by both my MBP and my PC. Have you tried plugging in the Canon's AC adapter when connected to the MBP?

EDIT: Also make sure the camera is set to VTR or playback mode.

4. logpinata thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i tried a different cable and the other port. also my powershot still camera communicates just fine. i tried connecting the camcorder's ac adapter before connecting the firewire cable, but still nothing! also, yes i have it in playback mode.

5. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Hmm... your powershot uses a USB cable, not a Firewire. Your ZR600 has connections for both USB and Firewire. Just want to make sure you're using the correct cable.

6. logpinata thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, no you're right... i've been using a usb cable for both cameras.

7. logpinata thread starter macrumors newbie

got a firewire cable and it works now!! thanks!!