MacBook Pro can't boot Win 7 CD or any iso

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killerbee79, May 3, 2011.

1. killerbee79 macrumors member

So I have just purchased a new MacBook Pro. I'm going to install Windows 7 (again) only using bootcamp then using Parallels on that bootcamp part. Then I have the best of both worlds instead of just Parallels.

I'm having issues though. I have a Windows 7 iso on a CD that I made 2 yrs ago when I installed Win 7 on my old MacBook. This bootable iso image was made from files I got from my college. You see I bought a discounted upgrade Win 7 that came with a downloadable "exe" and 2 "box" files.

Long story short, I made a bootable iso onto a CD and my old MacBook would boot from this CD just fine 2 yrs ago. I know as I did it multiple times then. (and yes I can use an upgrade version of Win 7)

Now my new MacBook Pro can't do that. If I hold down "option" it won't pop up to select (only seeing Mac HD) and Bootcamp screams no "bootable media" when using that to aid in installation.

My old MacBook now won't even see the CD to boot.

Was something broken in an update in the past 2 yrs that broke the ability to boot from an iso image on a Mac?

I've tried other iso's that I have used to update my old SSD and my MacBook's can't boot those now either....What is going on?

HELP!?!?!?

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i think the issue is your Cd went bad.

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

This. And importantly, Macs have never been able to boot from ISOs. You can burn it to a disc and then boot from the disc, but you can't boot a Mac from an ISO file.

4. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to boot it from the disc.....the disc contains the iso file.

I did it a mere 2 yrs ago just fine.

5. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

How can a CD go bad? It is not like a loaf of bread.....

The CD has no scratches or anything as I had it in a protective sleeve.

6. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Hopefully you did not just "copy" the ISO to the CD Image but rather burned the ISO Image to the CD - meaning you see contents of the ISO on the CD rather than seeing filename.iso.

7. phas3 macrumors 65816

try to create a bootable usb drive from another source that isn't MACOSX

8. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

I'm trying that now using the iso on my CD. When I put the CD into my Mac and view it in Finder I see "WIN7.iso" as its contents.

I followed the instructions here to make my iso 2 yrs ago as I bought my copy of Win 7 through my college which goes through Digital River. You don't get a CD or iso from them.

I guess I'll see what happens........

I never though it would be this much of a pain as everything worked 2 yrs ago:(

9. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

I know what I did wrong now. I got it working.

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Can I assume that by CD you actually mean DVD, as W7 is a couple of GB?

I used Disk Utility to burn a W7 DVD from an .iso, which I then used to install W7. I remember having some problems, however I can't remember exactly how I did it. I think I pressed the "Burn" button in Disk Utility, navigated to the .iso image, and pressed blue burn button, then insert DVD.

There are 3 or 4 ways of burning DVDs in Disk Utility, so keep trying different methods until it works. I would obviously recommend using a DVD-RW, so it doesn't matter if it doesn't work.