MacBook Pro can't connect to wifi - IT guy deleted all my networks and 802.1x prfles

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dizzle247, May 14, 2013.

1. dizzle247 macrumors newbie

I took my MacBook Pro to work today and couldn't connect to wifi so my IT guy took a stab at it and we gave up a couple hours later. Come home and fire up my laptop only to have my router ask for my password when connecting. Type in my password, it "connects" but I can't browse. Come to realize that all the networks I've connected to are gone and all the 802.1x profiles are deleted.

Needless to say my IT guy is a douche.

All my other devices (2 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 iPads, ipad mini and 2 iPhones) still connect to my router so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

How do I fix this? Wen I try to create a new 802.1x people, it asks for a user name and password but I've never had one in the past.

Help!

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

You're using 802.1X at home? (just curious as an IT guy).

3. dizzle247 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a linksys router from 2008 that I haven't had a need to replace.

4. dizzle247 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. freejazz-man macrumors regular

so... you use 802.1x at home?

recreate the profiles or reset the router. I'm not sure what other options you think you would have?

6. SMDBill macrumors 6502

Have you restarted the machine since he deleted the info? I've deleted all my hardware settings intentionally due to software issues and on restart the machine will create a new file and you should be back as if you were using it the first time (in terms of settings...i.e., needing to tell it passwords, lost bookmarks on web pages, etc.).

Can you delete/move the following folder and restart? It will reset all your network settings and other settings.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

NOTE: Move the folder to the Desktop BEFORE deleting and do not delete until AFTER the restart AND you confirm your system is working. If it doesn't fix the problem, just move the file back where it was and you're right where you started.