Macbook Pro can't handle video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DutchX420, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DutchX420 macrumors newbie

I got my MBP in the summer of 2008, and a few months ago I had some real troubles with video, to the point where every time I opened up a YouTube video the screen would flash and then the whole computer would crash. After a few times of this happening, the computer wouldn't even start up.

I took it in to the Apple Store and they replaced a video card (or something along those lines.. sorry I'm not really a computer guy), because apparently this is a widespread problem in my generation of MBPs. This was maybe 3 months ago.

Now I'm starting to have problems again. It hasn't crashed completely yet, but when I watch videos the bottom gets VERY hot, to the point of burning skin if it touches you, and if I try to scroll down a webpage while a video is playing, the browser crashes. So I can't go on YouTube at all, and if I click on a webpage that has embedded video, I'm pretty much screwed.

It's pretty frustrating to say the least. My warranty ran out years ago, but the way I see it, I was sold a faulty machine from the start. Do you guys think there's any way that I could get a new machine from Apple because of this, without a warranty? Like I said, I would understand the whole warranty thing if there were no recorded incidents, but it's been widely reported that my batch of MBPs are faulty.

I know if I ask them this at the genius bar, they'll just offer to do the fix that they did before -- the one that didn't work. And it'll just be an endless loop of being ok for a few months, then having to go in again.

Thanks for any advice.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The gpu replacement warranty was four years on affected models. The stuff like heat is somewhat subjective. They all run hot. Many of them run close to thermal limits. A few people have reported improved performance by blowing out the fans and reapplying thermal paste, but it doesn't sound like you would be comfortable doing this (you have to be careful not to damage anything or shock components).