MacBook Pro can't output enough power to charge iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Videomanmac, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Hi,

My 2015 15" MacBook Pro can not charge my iPhone 6s. If I plug in the charger, the iPhone will constantly buzz as it is switching between charging and not charging. I have tried two separate cords, and both cords work fine when plugged into a wall charger or another computer.

I am at a loss for how to diagnose and fix this issue.

Thank you!

2. iNarcoleptic macrumors newbie

iNarcoleptic

Does anything else have an issue connecting when you plug it into the port of your MacBook? Thinking maybe the port is damaged.

3. Videomanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

I power an external hard drive via USB. But this issue with the iPhone happens on all Usb ports.

4. htc fan macrumors 6502

Sounds like it's your iPhones thats the problem

5. Videomanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

But it charges fine everywhere else, that is the troubling part.

6. htc fan macrumors 6502

Like charges fine plugged in another mac?

7. Videomanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

I have not tried it on another Mac, but have tried it on a Windows based computer with USB 2.0. It charges fine.

8. htc fan macrumors 6502

Does iTunes sees the iPhone, when its plugged in. Try doing a pram reset ( I don't think that's going do anything )

9. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

One possibility is lint build up, you would be surprised how much can build up in the iPhone's lightning port and in rare cases even in a USB port. Gently use a toothpick to scrap out anything that may be caught because that could be causing the charging problem.

Another possibility:
    Do you have lots of activity on your computer? Any other ports in use?
    I have noticed on my 2011 MBP, when I had several ports in use and I was rendering a video or something that was taking up lots of energy, my iPad or iPhone would stop charging. But I recall that only happened a few times when I was really putting lots of stress on the computer. But it didn't make that buzz in and out sound, it would remain connected and say 'not charging'.

It sounds like your issue is related to the iPhone abruptly disconnecting and reconnecting and the first possibility is more likely the cause.

10. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

You have tried a different lighting cable, right?