Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stingd21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hello All!,

I am recently discovering the carbon fiber threads based around what Apple might possibly look into for a future unibody. I have searched until my fingers are sore, but cannot find much on aftermarket unibodies for MacBook Pros or even MacBooks for that matter.

My question:
Are there any aftermarket companies or even individuals that make a carbon fiber unibody for a Macbook?

I found a thread in the iPhone section talking about a replacement back, but nothing about a MacBook except vinyl overlays, decals, etc. It seems a bit easy to me, even though I have never worked with carbon fiber before, but from what I know you can basically make a mould for anything! I think it would not take much to buy a used unibody and send it to someone to make a mould, and the go from there?

Any input?

Sting

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Hello All!,

I am recently discovering the carbon fiber threads based around what Apple might possibly look into for a future unibody. I have searched until my fingers are sore, but cannot find much on aftermarket unibodies for MacBook Pros or even MacBooks for that matter.

My question:
Are there any aftermarket companies or even individuals that make a carbon fiber unibody for a Macbook?

I found a thread in the iPhone section talking about a replacement back, but nothing about a MacBook except vinyl overlays, decals, etc. It seems a bit easy to me, even though I have never worked with carbon fiber before, but from what I know you can basically make a mould for anything! I think it would not take much to buy a used unibody and send it to someone to make a mould, and the go from there?

Any input?

Sting

The new Sony is made out of carbon fiber and the keyboard flexes. I understand its strong but I would rather have teh aluminum that apple currently uses.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
The new Sony is made out of carbon fiber and the keyboard flexes. I understand its strong but I would rather have teh aluminum that apple currently uses.

As awesome as a carbon fibre laptop would be, if the keyboard flexes I'd be scared of the underlying plastic motherboard snapping.

Stingd21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, I've seen the new Sony. Pretty impressive actually. If you don't mind me asking, why? (even through overall I would have to agree with you ha).

As awesome as a carbon fibre laptop would be, if the keyboard flexes I'd be scared of the underlying plastic motherboard snapping.
I have had numerous carbon fiber parts for my bike and they barely have any flex to them, but this being said, the unibody is much thinner... I believe that one could make the pieces as flexible or non-flexible as they wanted to. But I have to agree with you, I would be a bit sceptical about what would happen to the keyboard. I think that there would be ways around it.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I really hope this doesn't happen. It would give the MacBooks a very much plastic feel, and I'm not sure, but I think carbon fibre would not be as suitable for heat dissipation as aluminium is. I really like the current design, it's practically perfect in my opinion. What could be more likely and probable is apple experimenting with other metals such as magnesium. A black magnesium MBP would look really cool.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
If Apple (or you) changed the case to carbon fibre, the weight would not noticeably change. Costs would skyrocket as CFRP is extremely expensive compared to even the mil-spec aircraft grade aluminium Apple supposedly uses. Also, the CPU and GPU temperatures would increase substantially, as the case will become a thermal insulator.

Aluminium is far better than carbon fibre in impact resistance, as CFRP will snap, whereas aluminium will dent. Furthermore, as others have said, CFRP is PLASTIC, therefore will feel like plastic; i.e. cheap.

Carbon fibre is only better than aluminium when it comes to looks; and even that is debatable. Aluminium is better at everything functional or practical.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Yeah, I've seen the new Sony. Pretty impressive actually. If you don't mind me asking, why? (even through overall I would have to agree with you ha).

I understand that carbon fiber has a lot of use. Its great making light weight cars. It is expensive though and in a laptop plastic is probably just as light and way cheaper. Its just my view though. I think it would look amazing though.

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Having been under the hood of (and recently replacing) the entire lower half of my 2011's unibody, I can safely say that just making a mold is going to be next to impossible. The number and tiny size of the screw holes, the finely machined details near the power/sleep LED and hinges...that would all be SO hard to replicate by making a mold. I would imagine that CNCing some carbon would be necessary to achieve this level of detail. Carbon is great in applications that require strength and aren't expected to flex or receive too much impact. I think it's a relatively poor choice for something like a laptop.

Great2bnate

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
Perhaps the real application for the carbon fiber unibody is for the Macbook itself, because the battery to motherboard ratio is so huge.
Think about it. The trend for Apple is to continuously remove as much as possible intentionally compromising the experience.
They removed the disc tray, they removed many ports. After iPhone 7 they removed the headphone jack, they removed function row. They're not done yet.

They will likely remove speakers next (you'll have to use the one AirPod you didn't lose)

The point is Carbon fiber would not flex as much if it were reinforced with the battery and with less travel for the keys. Also the glass for the screen should help reduce flex, but with an OLED future, flex on the screen maybe ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.