MacBook Pro case/cover/bag

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gordyc44, Apr 25, 2007.

1. gordyc44 macrumors newbie

Hi folks, this is my first post!

After owning a Performa 630 many years ago and subsequently getting a job as a Windows SysAdmin (no flames please!! ;-) ), now that I can run XP on a Mac (and with the prices coming down etc), I'm going to buy a 17" MacBook Pro in a couple of months (waiting for any hardware refresh that will hopefully happen in June but if it doesn't, I'll still buy it then).

Given that it's such a lot of money to spend on this myself, I want to make sure I keep it safe and in good condition. I'll use it as a personal tool but also to help fix friends' PCs and Macs. I may also use it in my job. With that in mind, what I'm looking for is (ideally) a laptop case or bag that has a tight-fitting pocket or pouch for the MBP itself plus room for other kit like an external floppy, possibly and external HDD (I have an Icy Box external HDD with pretty much everything on it.), plus space for random CDs/DVDs, leads, cables, a couple of power supplies etc etc. - everything I'll need when going to fix a computer.

I've looked at a few bags but they're all geared to the business user, *not* a SysAdmin. I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions from you all if you know of a good bag to get. Could be backpack-style as well as briefcase-style.

Also, (sorry for the long post!) I would think about a sleeve or tight-fitting case for the MBP which could then be placed inside the other bag. Mainly, the bag needs plenty of good-sized pockets etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :)

2. Winterfell macrumors regular

I bought a Crumpler for my laptop and could not be more happy. It's a great bag, very well made, fits my MacBookPro perfectly (as advertised), and I love the colors and the different look. It's made of the same ballistic-nylon material that many laptop bags are made from, but it's a smaller weave giving the impression that it is made of a finer material.

What I really like about it is that it doesn't have to look like a laptop bag. It looks more like a messenger bag. It has room for all of my peripherals, including my laptop lap rest, but still has a small profile. :eek:

Crumpler is an Australian company that isn't as well-known in the U.S. (at least in the midwest), and I've gotten many compliments and had many conversation-starterss as a result of the bag.

The price tag is a big high for a bag, but honestly. Quality is always more expensive ... if you want cheap go to wal-mart. In 10 years, you'll be glad you spent the money. Just my opinion.

Anyway, long story short, that's my recommendation. :p I bought the Part and Parcel in the brown color, and like I said it fits very well.

3. Clarence macrumors regular

All I needed was a sleeve case, I went with a booq Vyper balistic nylon case. After seeing some of the crushed corner photos here I'm not so sure that it would take a 3 foot drop, but its a hell of a lot better than nothing. I just needed something to allow me to toss it in my north face backpack, or to protect it to and from my job. Its really nice.

http://booqbags.com/s.nl;jsessionid...7d155.e3iKaNePch4Re34Pa38Ta38La3j0?it=A&id=74

Also check the main page, I think you will find what you want.

By the way, that Crumpler website is pretty cool.

4. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I'm planning on just getting a sleeve and using a regular bag. I don't really see a purpose in getting a "bag" specifically for a laptop. Oh well, good luck!

5. samfeldman macrumors newbie

samfeldman

Try Timbuk2

You should try Timbuk2. They're nice because the bags are customizable -- mainly you can just pick your colors, not real customization.
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm
    Anyway, check those out. I've heard great things -- I don't have them myself.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

7. zali0n macrumors regular

8. alFR macrumors 68020

I'm going to put in my usual plug for Tom Bihn. Their laptop sleeves are great quality and they make one specifically for the MBP in either a horizontal or vertical (for in a backpack) orientation. Their bags are great too, they have a wide range that accept their sleeves as inserts.

9. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I agree. Every laptop I've had has lived in one of their neoprene sleeves. They may not have much space for other bits but you can chuck them into any other bag if you want, along with your other gear.

10. gordyc44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, thanks for so many replies in such a short time. I really appreciate the help - I haven't seen anything locally (in Wellington, NZ) that comes close to most of these so it's great to get your opinion.

If anyone else wnats to recommend something to me, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks again!

:)

11. civilizedrat macrumors regular

The stm small alley for the macbook 13/15 is really good. If you need a shoulder mag which doesn't look like a laptop bag, then this is it. There's also a lot of space for other items, e.g. books, ipod, charger etc

12. jotadeo macrumors regular

Right in your neck of the woods there is the aussiebag sleeve. I just got one for my 15" MBP and I really like it. It's a perfect fit for the laptop and is thin enough to fit in most built-in laptop sleeves in backpacks, sling packs, messenger bags, etc. It's seems to be very well constructed, made out of neoprene on the outside (reinforced with a cloth material on either side of the zipper) and a sort of velvet-like material inside. It also comes with a piece of material to cover your keyboard so that the keys don't make marks on your screen when the top is closed. Also, there's also a matching accessories bag that you could use for the remote, a mouse, and/or the power adapter, etc.

The people there are really nice and friendly, too!!!
    jdo

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is my favorite. I was looking for a messenger bag style with protection for a laptop. And of course the bag had to look decent. This company also sells other bags that offer laptop protection. Protection is offered through a special lining that absorbs shock (or something like that, its on the site).
    Link

14. DVvM macrumors newbie

Does anybody make a very large backpack (2,500 - 3,000 cubic inches of usable volume or more) with a built in laptop sleeve? I need to buy a new backpack, and I'm always carrying a ton of stuff around. I wonder if I can kill two birds with one stone.

15. alFR macrumors 68020

16. Winterfell macrumors regular

Take a look at some of the Crumpler backpacks (scroll over to the right a bit): specifically the "barge" backpacks. Built in laptop sleeve and tons of space.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=5

My unit conversion skills are a little bit rusty, but we should all be using the metric system anyway. :p

17. cashel macrumors member

I'm also looking for a bag, perhaps you guys could help me out. I want a messenger bag with a laptop sleeve. I also DO NOT want it to look like a laptop bag, nor do I want it to look high tech with all black or flashy colors/pockets. I want something that's simple, elegant, and classic. I don't really know how else to describe it, but ideally what I'm looking for is something similar to these Fossil messenger bags but with a laptop sleeve built in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those can be found here for reference:
    http://www.fossil.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2567&itemType=CATEGORY