Macbook Pro case durability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, May 5, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Compared with the 2007 SR model (the one with silver keyboard), is the case of the 2010 unibody model more durable? By durable, I mean under the same condition the likelihood of getting scratch, dent, pitting, etc. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The unibodies are much more solid than the old design, but they're made out of the same material so they're still susceptible to getting scratched or dented.

3. BeanieMan macrumors regular

A problem I had with my 2006 MBP was with the way the ?top case? attached to the ?bottom case? (dunno the correct terminology). These were attached with flimsy aluminum tabs, which in my case and other cases i've heard of, some have eventually broken due to just a small amount of flexing over time. Apple would not fix this for me under applecare. ("improper handling," as though i should carry it around like a small infant...)

I suspect that the unibody design is more robust, and does not have such flimsy attachment points. However, I haven't actually looked to find out. When my new 15" i7 antiglare arrives via FedEx today ( :D ), that's one of the first things i'm going to check out.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 601