Macbook Pro Casing Warped over CD Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joe8232, Oct 22, 2007.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

I didn't really notice anything was wrong with my mbp until the other day when i went to eject a cd and it didn't come out. I tried pressing eject again and it came out but it sounded like it was struggling. I had a look and the casing appears to have bowed downwards onto the superdrive.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me and what do you think i should do as there isn't anything technically wrong with the computer.

Attached Files:

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Uh... yeah. That isn't normal. How long ago did you buy the Mac? I would take it to an Apple store right away dude! Mine looks nothing like that, and it feels solid. Have you left it in a hot car or anything like that? It looks like it's melted.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

When I got my MBP the superdrive was bent like that.. I took it to the store and they swapped it out.

4. joe8232 thread starter macrumors regular

I have had the computer for about a year and it has only had normal use. So you guys think I should give apple a call?

5. Jestered macrumors 6502

There is a clip in the center of the drive opening that grabs the case and holds it. It looks like your clip is not engaged and it pusing it downwards. You could take it in and have them fix it so that the clip is engaged correctly.

You could also try to put a pen tip right in the center and push downwards to get the clip to snap in place. Make sure the pen is not too small that it actually goes all the way in the drive opening. If you are not comfortable with that.... just take it in.

6. MarsianMan macrumors member

Aren't the MBP's aluminum? Even in a hot car it shouldn't hot enough to melt aluminum.

7. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

8. g00dguymansir macrumors newbie

i have had a warped casing issues and all i can tell you is dont expect apple to cover it....it doesnt seem to matter how new or old the notebook is or if you have the warranty....basically they are going to ******** you and tell you its your fault and that you have to pay....i took mine to two seperate stores for my casing problem and one wanted me to pay 600 while the other wanted 1000....figure how that is???? i am seriously considering a lawsuit as the warranty does say the only cosmetic damage it wont cover is the kind that doesnt affect the use of the notebook....mine on the other hand completely renders the dvd/cd drive completely useless voiding their part of the terms and conditions...apple cant just pick and choose they need to be more specific in there apple care warranty .....goodluck man

9. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Take two business cards (some thick ones), stick them partially in the slot (something like 1/4 inch). The cards are there to protect the casing. Now take a fairly big flat head screw driver and stick it between the business cards and slightly into the slot. Now jimmy it side to side. This will cause the middle of the slot to move upwards. I discovered mine was slightly slower in the middle so I slowly bent it back upwards.

Take your time and slowly massage the aluminum back up. Should take 10 - 15 minutes. Afterwards should be good as new.

10. Lucy1012 macrumors newbie

Warped casing just above cd drive on Mbp

I have had exactly the same problem with my mpb that i bought 6 mnths ago...the disc has completely stuck in due to the warping...now the whole thing is boiling hot, a mac engineer (after having to wait over two weeks) is saying i need new top and bottom casing, the logistics board and the drive are completley ******* and mac will not take any responsiblity! saying that something must have been dropped on it, which is utter rubbish...
    Also,it has never worked propery from the start....

I really do not know what to do ??? I am self employed and losing money...

Anyone got any advice...?

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

has your macbook pro been repaired before?

Either you or someone put a lot of weight on that area and bent it down. Could have been a tech that didnt know how to properly engage the clips and bent the case. I stick a CD halfway in and then clip it back.

I highly doubt its just bent from clips pushing it down.

12. kevzy macrumors member