Macbook Pro changes in store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Apr 24, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi, i want to buy a macbook pro but unfortunately i don't live in the USA. A friend will go there for a holiday next month and i will tell him to get one. Thing is i don't want to classic models. For example i want to get the 15" 2.4 Ghz low-end model but with 500 GB HDD. And maybe hi-res(haven't decided that yet) Can they make those changes in store? Or can he state that he will buy that model, order it in store and go and get it from store 3-4 days later?

another thing is that are Apple online store prices same with store prices? I want to give the exact money to him and i know nothing about taxes(if there are taxes)

thank you

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How long is he staying?  Store may not be able to provide BTO within few days, you're better off calling/emailing them and explaining your situation and ask if you could order it now and tell them when is your friend coming there so they can have it ready for pickup.

If you would just get a HD upgrade, you can do it yourself later on. Only thing worth buying a BTO is the hi res or antiglare.

You should trust him enough to give him some extra, so he don't have to pay it himself. Just ask him to bring the receipt so he can't cheat you

3. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Just order it from the online store, see if you can pick up in store days later.
    I don't think they make changes in the store, they don't assemble anything, and I doubt they'd have that specific model in stock. Maby, I don't know.
    I'd call a specific store and talk to the manager if I were you, see if you can buy it over the phone OR online and ship it to that store, to the manager.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need an US credit card to buy anything from US online store :(

I second that calling to manager thing as I said in my post above

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

how should i call the store from the other side of the world? And he is not a close friend(the one who will bring me a mac) but he's my only option not to pay 2000$ more to buy here. Anyone familiar with store prices vs. online store prices?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can you trust him then? I wouldn't make things too complicated, just get a stock model or buy from your country. I doubt he want to ruin his vacation by hassling with your MBP. Stock model is idiot proof, just tell him to go in store and pick up the model you want.

I would give him half the price of the MBP, then pay the rest when you get it and see the receipt.

7. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

he wouldn't runaway with money that is no problem:) lol but i really need that extra 180 GB hdd space. this will be my first mac so idon't want to install later cause idk how to, i have no idea how install osx and i don't want to lose free i life that comes with all new macs. Mid range 2.53 GHz is 500 GB, but if i get that i will be giving 200 bucks more to get that HDD :) 2.4-2.53 doesn't make much difference i guess.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just follow this video. To install OS X you have to hold down one key while booting and then use your mouse to click install, that's all. iLife comes with the other install disk, so you won't lose it.

You can get up to 1TB if you install it yourself

9. shadowness macrumors regular

where are you from???

emir,
    where are you located???

10. UKBeast macrumors 6502

He is from Turkey.

I understood it from the words "a friend of mine will go there for holiday..."

The same old never ending story...

11. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Ooh didn't know about the US card.
    You should find someone on these forums to do it for you lol. Paypal them the money plus some extra and have them ship it to you. If I was in the US I'd do it, it's really no work at all to do stuff like that.

Speaking of paypal, you should try to setup an account, see if your bank can add money to it, then you can use a 'virtual debit card' to buy stuff, it'll be a temporary card, so you can buy it from the US store and ship it to a US address with a 'vitrual' US card. Simple enough. I've done it before, works fine. Just make sure your buddy is there to get it lol, if he's in a hotel it might be a problem.

But then he could ask them to receive it and hold it for him.

12. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

I dont need to find people from here i have friends that can ship from us but laptops always are huge problem at customs. You can pay taxe up to 600-700$ unfortunately only ome friend will maube come

@beastalityonly

how did u know where i am from? Follower of my numerous other posts? Sorry if i posted too man but its hard to figure all out from the othe side of the world.

13. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Apple Stores only sell ready to use models, they do not customize it for you. If you want to customize it, you have to order it from apple online store and when you do it you have to wait up to 2 weeks to get that machine. The problem is, it is BUILD TO ORDER which means they only produce it specially for you when you order it from apple online store. So you have to wait machine coming from China.

You can buy it with your credit card belongs to Turkey, but you must do it in the USA, because when you go online and order it, their website recognizes your IP address and shipping address. If they can confirm that, both your ip and shipping address are somewhere in the USA, they accept payment.

This is generally how it works.

If i were you, I would give money to my friend and let him buy a base 15inch model there. If hdd is very important to you, get yourself a standart 5200rpm notebook hdd from Turkey and upgrade it yourself.

I understood you are Turkish because:

1. Only Turkish people give money to their friends going overseas to get them buy electronic devices. Because of Turkish government's taxing policy, Apple comps are nearly 60% more expensive than in the other countries

2. Your English sentence structure makes it easy to understand, your are writing like you are thinking in Turkish in your mind so therefore the way you tell your problem is not like british, american or anyother countries people do. Sometimes you are choosing wrong words.

3. Your nickname is a Turkish boys name.

4. I am a Turkish living in Britain.

14. shadowness macrumors regular

Bravo!!!

Bravo!!! Bravo!!!
    Elementary, my dear emir, Elementary!!!

15. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

wow Sherlock, just Wow:D I just decided to get the 2.53 Ghz 15" MBP. It's a model easily findable in stores.