MacBook Pro charge/sleep error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thegman1234, Jan 7, 2008.

1. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Okay here's the story. I had taken my MBP to Apple to have a power board replaced because my notebook wasn't charging.

Now, if I put my laptop to sleep while charging, and I unplug it, it wakes up while its lid is closed. Then next time I open it, it comes out of sleep mode, I enter my password, and then it goes back to sleep mode, and I have to wait for it to wake again.

It does the same thing if I sleep the laptop while it's not charging, and then plug the charger in.

Both of these scenarios involve me closing the lid to sleep it.

Is this a hardware error or a software error? And does anyone know what to do? I'd rather skip the trip to Apple.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

Try turning off "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" in the Security preference pane. (EDIT: I just realized you're probably not running Leopard. I trust you can find this option anyway.) I'd just like to know if that's the problem. If it is the problem, I suppose all you can do is leave it off or complain to Apple. At least this might answer one of your questions, "Is this a hardware error or a software error?". EDIT 2: I just realized that the probable outcome of this is that the Mac will still wake up when you plug in/unplug it, but it will go right back to sleep, which could still be either a hardware or software issue...

3. thegman1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Good idea, I'll try that. However, I cannot leave the computer that way because I NEED that security lol. But at least this will give me more information for troubleshooting.

4. thegman1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Well, I unchecked "require a password to log in" and I hate no problems. When I rechecked it, I had no problems for a little while, but then the problem came back.

Does anybody else have any ideas?