MacBook Pro charger -- faulty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alex-H, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Alex-H macrumors newbie

I had my MacBook Pro charger replaced back in Easter as it made quite a loud bang and then ceased to work.

The new one has worked fine up until now, and it has begun stopping charging seemingly randomly when in use. It seems that after plugging it in and then out (both at the laptop end and the mains power end) a few times over a period of a few minutes solve the problem and get it charging again, but then it stops again not too long after. It seems like it's on its way out...has anyone experienced this before and is Apple likely to replace it under Apple Care?

Also, my battery health is really low (around 40%). The last time I went into Apple I mentioned this to a genius and they said that batteries are only covered for a year under Apple Care and a new one would set me back about £120. Is there any chance that I could get it replaced for free (I know some genius' are very generous compared to others) or is this quite a strict policy?

Thanks!

2. Alex-H thread starter macrumors newbie

The failure to charge has become more frequent now and the gaps between it working properly are lengthening...very odd, I guess I'll have to get a genius appointment.