Macbook Pro Charger getting really hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smtevo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Smtevo macrumors 6502

I just plugged in my 1 week old 13" macbook pro while using it for 15 minutes and checked the block of the plug and it was extremely hot, is this normal?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Yeah it is. I left mine on the carpet and it burned my hand if I held it for more than a few seconds. I would leave it on a tile surface or something.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Too hot to handle? If so it may be a fault - call Apple otherwise it's probably normal, if it's just hot.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

I was on YouTube browsing and watching some videos, my charger block was extremely hot to the touch...

5. Smtevo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep I was on hulu watching some shows while this happened so maybe that's why, I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the responses.

6. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

its supposed to get hot its suppling the current.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What I noticed is that, if you have the cord (extension) plugged in to the power brick it will get really warm as opposed to not using the extension and just plugging the power brick directly to the wall.

8. Smtevo thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't get what you are saying, care to explain?

9. ELab2 macrumors newbie

The charger has a direct plug in piece (the prongs stick out of the block) and an extension cord piece (the prongs are on the end of the extension cord which sticks out of the box).

Mine also gets very hot but only when charging. If I'm running off the charger but my computer is fully charged it is barely even warm. I actually haven't even used the direct plug-in yet so I'm not sure if that would help.