MacBook pro charger not working due to missing part?

juliarose15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
This morning I went to charge my laptop because it has run out of battery. When I plugged my charger in, I noticed the light that signals it is charging did not even turn on.

I started to inspect the charger and I was looking at the small piece that actually plugs into the charger. There are fours small gold covered prongs that connect to the port in the laptop. I noticed one of these prongs was missing it's gold covering and was exposed.Could this be the reason the charger no longer works? I only bought the charger two months ago and do not want to pay 80 dollars for a new one. Is there a way to remedy this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there a way to remedy this?
If the MagSafe adapter is broken, the only realistic solution is to buy a replacement.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
If it is only 2 months old, the OP would have a pretty good case for going to the Apple Store and asking for a replacement under warranty.
Agreed, IF it is an actual APPLE piece.. I have never seen an issue with pins on any of the 6-7 chargers I have had since 2006.. or any my friends have used.. :apple: