Macbook Pro charger stopped working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madelope, Jun 5, 2013.

1. madelope macrumors newbie

Hi there, I am new to this site so I hope I am doing this correctly. I bought a Macbook Pro 17" with retina display in Febuary. I love this computer, it is fast, amazing, easy to use and great for graphic design (what I am taking in university). Yesterday the charger stopped working. Please keep in mind that the charger stays at home all day, safe in my room. When I plug it in, the LED doesn't turn on, it is just blank. I fiddled around with it, tried multiple outlets in my home and nothing works. I really love this laptop and it is sitting at 20% battery and I miss using my precious mac (lol). I was just wondering if there apple would replace the charger (I don't have apple care). I don't have $80 to buy a new one because I am in school and since it is the end of the year, I have a lot of things to pay for and my job isn't helping. I would have apple care however I never knew it existed.. I bought my laptop from best buy who didn't say anything about apple care... I just found out about it yesterday when I was looking online to see if they would replace it. I just want some input, there is no physical damage to the charger, I don't know why it stopped working but it was sitting at home all day and worked the night before... I am also the only one with a macbook pro in my house so the charger did not get mixed up or anything.
    I would love some input please and please try to stay sincere (I have seen a lot of rude people on these forums):apple:

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

First, you did not buy a 17" retina MacBook Pro, since Apple does not make one. Second, if there is no physical damage to the charger, you are still in warranty so they will replace it for free.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a neat trick, since Apple never made a 17" MBP with a retina display. Don't you mean a 13" or 15"?
    If you bought your Mac new in February, it's still covered by the 1 year warranty. For battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.)

4. madelope thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I was mixing it up with my DELL... don't need to get snippy...

5. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

If you didn't do anything to the charger, just book a Genius Bar appointment and have them replace it. Make sure you provide your serial number, so that they can check your warranty status. Also make sure you bring your Retina in just, in case the mag safe replacement isn't the solution.

6. madelope thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Just an update, I called Apple today and I thought I was going to be charged for the phone call (the automated voice said the call cost about $30 or something). First of all this was my first time calling Apple and I must say I was impressed!
    I found it really cool how when calling Apple inc. on an iphone, a background of the Apple logo appears! I thought that was pretty cool :p
    Second, the automated voice feature was very interesting and can understand anything! Made it very easy (no "press 1 for bla bla bla")
    Third, the person I talked to was very nice and EASY to understand (unlike any other companies I have phoned).
    The man did not charge me for the call, was very patient with me and seemed like he was well informed about the problem. He walked me through some trouble shooting (nothing happened with the charger).
    After telling him nothing was working I was afraid I would be charged for a new charger but he told me Apple would send me a new one for free! He also said I should get it by tomorrow since they ship very fast! (I've had to wait up to 2 weeks for something from DELL).

I am very impressed by Apple and I am surprised and glad I didn't get charged for anything.
    Thanks again for everyone's input!

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Blown fuse? Happened to mine recently. :)