Macbook Pro Charger

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Hey,

I bought my Macbook Pro 15" in New York last year.

When back in Europe, I bought the adapter so i could charge it with plug sockets over here.
Will it matter buying european charger when laptop was bought in america?

Recently i notice i have a small nick/unravelling on the wire on the charger lead where its joined to the charger box itself and have to play with it get the laptop charging.

Im wondering is it ok just buy a new charger for it over here and use as normal.

How do I know which charger is correct..

Sorry if sounds stupid question, just want to make sure, also if there is anywhere online buy one.

Last edited:

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Yeah you can buy a european charger for your american MBP, if that is what you are asking. The Apple store sells them though they're not cheap. If you're in warranty Apple may replace it

touko

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
As for magSafe 2, not sure what that is?
MagSafe 2 is a thinner variant released a few days ago. It is only compatible with 2012 MacBook Airs and Retina MBPs.

As for purchasing.....
Im not sure if this would work? http://www.amazon.com/Original-Apple.../dp/B002C4MRDK

Want to make sure I buy correct as there is no apple store where I am.
I seriously suggest getting 85W MagSafe charger for a 15 incher. 60W is for 13 inchers. I think it would still charge your laptop, but it would be slower and won't provide enough power to charge while on use.

As long as you get 85W MagSafe (not MagSafe 2) charger, it would be fine. Charger blocks are free-voltage and universal. I have used one bought in Korea in U.S. without problem; only had to pay $8 for socket connectors in retail Apple Store.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
why don't you check your warranty, u could get a new one for free...
Would it not make a difference it was bought in New York and now live in Ireland?

I entered in my serial on apple.com and got this
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: November 3, 2012

davidduzy

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Would it not make a difference it was bought in New York and now live in Ireland?

I entered in my serial on apple.com and got this
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: November 3, 2012
Normally you have worldwide warranty, go and try it, why not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.