MacBook Pro charging issues after a liquid spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rakeysh, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Rakeysh, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

Rakeysh macrumors newbie

I was using a Mac Book Pro 13" (Mid 2009 released model) until a day when it wasn't charging. I tried to charge it after few hours and it worked. I did not notice any behavior changes like (Back-lit keyboard, keyboard becoming sticky, Screen) for next few days so I did not care of taking it to Apple Store.

Then after few days, I found its not getting charged again so I took to an Apple store who at first ( As I have a Apple Care) informed that they would replace all the necessary components FREE of charge. Next day I received a call from Apple store informing me that it had some sort of liquid spill on the logic board and does not cover under Apple Care terms & conditions. I was asked to pay $800 to fix it.

And here is another interesting thing..
    1. When I used a charger in Apple store (Genius Bar) its getting charged
    2. But it does not charge by a similar T-Shape adapter that I was using since 2009
    3. Hoping that its a Adapter issue, I bought a new 2012 Mac-safe adapter (not a T Shaped) but it only gets charged occasionally

I took my Mac back home and almost after a 20 days checked (with some hope) if by any chance it would be working or not and BOOM..it was getting charged and working with no issues until I had to recharge it.

With my own research on Web and ifixit, I tried to clean the logic board that had some BLUE color stains on it (very less) using Isopropyl alcohol & Compressed air and put it to dry out for couple of days. Then it again gets charged and works absolutely fine until I had to recharged it...( which now does not detect the MacSafe - No light).

------

After reading through my Mac's varied behavior of getting charged, can any one help me with their suggestion and recommendations. Thank you.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Sometimes it can take days for damage from a liquid spill to fully manifest itself. I think your logic board is shot due to the spill as determined by Apple. Just grasping at straws here, but did the charger get liquid on it also? Try another charger if you have access to one. Not sure it will do any good though.

Really sorry to hear about your misfortune with the spill. Good luck.

3. Rakeysh, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

Rakeysh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

And here is the interesting thing..Sorry I missed to put it in my previous post. The Mac Book Pro is getting charged with some (T Shaped) Mac Safe adapters but not all. To explain further in detail
    (1. Its getting charged when I used a T- Shaped Mac-safe in Apple Store
    2. Its not getting charged by a similar T-Shaped adapter that I was using since 2009
    3. Hoping that its a Adapter issue, I also got a new 2012 Mac-safe adapter (not a T Shaped) and as described in my previous post, it gets charged occasionally)

I requested Apple Store guys to help me with an exchange of their charger with my new Mac-safe adapter but they Denied it.

So, all this strange behavior worries me more that..it being completely DEAD...in that case..with no other choice I will buy a new one

4. Coldmode macrumors regular

If the issues are limited to charging, it is possible to replace only the DC-in board, per this iFixit link. Please note that the link I included is for my machine. If yours is not the same I'd suggest finding the correct repair guide.

The part is $60 and would certainly be cheaper than either an $800 repair or a new machine.

5. Rakeysh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Your iFixit link will be very helpful.

I will try this and let you know. Thanks once again!

6. Coldmode macrumors regular

Based on limited information I don't guarantee this will fix your problem, but it may be worth a try. You'll also probably be able to return the part if it does not fix the problem (though possibly not).