Macbook Pro charging making me feel sick

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vitaminmac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. vitaminmac macrumors newbie

When my MBP (early 2008, Penryn) is charging my nose becomes blocked, and my breathing gets harder. When the notebook is on mains and the battery is installed, I feel the effect within seconds which gets worse the longer I’m around the notebook (with three or four metres). I feel okay again when I either remove the battery or turn off the mains, like a weight has been lifted off my chest and head.

It took more than a year to make the connection. Since then I have either used the notebook off mains without the battery installed, or with the battery only.

Anyone heard of anything like this? What is the best instrument I can use to measure electrical emission, perhaps a gauss metre?

2. Garrus macrumors member

There's only one thing to do in those situations, call them! :
    [​IMG]

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's psychosomatic.

In the case it's not, it's definitely not the Macbook. I'd also be very wary of things like: anything electrical.

4. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

6. vitaminmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Occasionally I'll forget that the battery was charging and then I'll have these symptoms. Removed the battery and felt fine.

7. Migra macrumors newbie

8. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Does this happen when you are near any battery powered device or is it just the MacBook Pro?

9. vitaminmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been around other charging netbooks but noticed nothing unusual, and I often have the phone charging near me. Haven't tested any other electronics enough to make a similar connection.

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

Those aren't that powerful compared to MBP charging system. How about right next to TVs, PS3/XBOX or Microwave itself? Does it happen in one specific place or can you take the MBP to the doctor's office and reproduce it there?

You might have a rare condition that involves electromagnetic fields or you're just crazy. Doc should tell you.

11. greythorne macrumors regular

Why not consult a doctor and see what he/she got to say for your strange condition?

I have never read or came across something unusual like what you described here.

12. Beefy macrumors member

I don't know why, but this made me laugh. :D

13. vitaminmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Other electronics - maybe theres something there but i'm just not sure, but nothing too debilitating. The effect is very obvious with the MBP.

14. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

As it is there are no known cases of this affecting people, and I don't think we could help you here. The easiest and most reasonable thing to do is a blindfold test.

15. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

OP, I will definitely be praying for you and I wish you well mate! I don't know of any way that I can help you though. :(

-praying-

16. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I can't speak to your physical symptoms, but I had a G4 powerbook (titanium) that would make my hands/forearms go numb occasionally... i finally realized it happened when I was touching the laptop and my arm was resting on a metal surface (like the edge of my desk)... the laptop was giving me a low grade shock...

can you test charging your laptop with a different power brick? You may have a grounding / wiring problem

17. vitaminmac thread starter macrumors newbie

My power adapter died recently so replaced it with the updated model sold with the unibody notebooks. There is no buzzing sound comming from the new adapter, otherwise it didn't help. I was keen on selling my 15" to get a unibody 13" for its portability, however I just remembered that the battery is built in. I don't know if I'll have issues with the unibody. I cant test it properly in store, and I don't know anyone I could loan one off.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It could be that the laptop isn't grounding out properly (Not a new thing, as someone pointed out).

Are you using the fold-in plug with 2 prongs, or the 3 prong extension?

19. vitaminmac thread starter macrumors newbie

3 prong on both old and new style power adapters.

20. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I wonder, what would happen if you had an MRI.

21. AllieNeko macrumors 65816

First, many things occur outside our understanding of the world. And I have no doubt that your symptoms are real. But I highly doubt there is an actual, physical cause for what you're experiencing - thus no way to treat it...

P.S. If I *was* going to try and treat a most likely psychological or metaphysical disease, I wouldn't suggest a doctor as has been suggested. Doctors deal in the real, physical, scientific world. For a sickness that has no scientific evidence whatsoever, you'll need treatment that has no scientific evidence whatsoever. May I suggest chiropractic, accupuncture, or homeopathy?

22. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

This isn't unheard of like some people want to act... Some people are overly sensitive to electro magnetic frequencies, especially hearts and breathing rhythms, which your symptoms match. If at an apple store the new macbook pros do not cause this almost instantly, just as your current mac does, you should be fine.

23. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I wonder what Steve Jobs would say about this...

24. magamo macrumors 6502

At first I thought it should be psychosomatic. But I just realized how people around me didn't believe me when I was a kid. The big old TV set we had when I was a little kid made a huuuuge high pitch noise, but no one other than my brother could hear it. It was unbearably loud. But everyone thought we were lying ;_;

25. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yeah, but you see that high pitched noise is real. Same with some fluoro lights, they make a high pitched noise that older people lose sensitivity to as they get older.

This mater cannot be attributed to a physical problem until you blind test this guy. Maybe but him in a room full of laptops...like an Apple Store. Or any electrical device. Or a shrink.