Macbook pro charging problem

HLP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I have a Macbook 15¨ with touchbar 2016. Modeltype number is MLW72N/A.

Right now I have it at somebody who said he could repair it but then gave me a crazy high price

This is what he says: The damage was caused by humidity, the main chip that control the voltage is called UMC and that one is damaged once you change that the computer turns on but don’t charge, so checking, there are 2 other chips that help the system for charging the battery so that’s something that you cannot see until is done the job and diagnostic that’s why I told you that to give you a quotation is necessary to make first a full diagnostic.

The two other chips he is talking about are called U7000 and U6990.

Could this be a true problem? And how much do these 3 chips cost approximately?

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
The cost of the chips is negligible. They will be taken from donor boards. What you are paying for is their diagnostic and soldering skills, and for their time.

HLP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
The cost of the chips is negligible. They will be taken from donor boards. What you are paying for is their diagnostic and soldering skills, and for their time.
Oke thank you. So you would say 250 dollars for at least two of the chips is too much?

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
The chips themselves only equate to a few dollars. Alot of them are quite difficult to get new, so are usually harvested from donor boards. A donor board costs around $20. Consider the chips a freebie. Like I said you are paying for the person's time and skills, not for the parts. For board level repair I would not say $250 is unreasonable. He has set his price based on what he believes his skills and time are worth.

HLP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
- - Post merged: - -

The chips themselves only equate to a few dollars. Alot of them are quite difficult to get new, so are usually harvested from donor boards. A donor board costs around $20. Consider the chips a freebie. Like I said you are paying for the person's time and skills, not for the parts. For board level repair I would not say $250 is unreasonable. He has set his price based on what he believes his skills and time are worth.
I need to pay 270 dollars approximately for the 3 chips which is excluding the price of his time.

Last edited:

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Well then that sounds unreasonable.
There is your board containing all of those chips (plus more) for under $50usd.

HLP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Well then that sounds unreasonable.
There is your board containing all of those chips (plus more) for under $50usd.
Thanks so much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.